Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Lid exploded from mason jar

Took this morning my yeaststarter. Out of the fridge. To warm it up for todays brew session. Did the swirl method. To get the yeast going again. Me sitting out side waiting for the mash to be done. Boom in the brewing are. The lid just came of. The mason jar. Scared me. Like whats this. Dogs running as well. Did inspect the jar. No glas. Broken. So can still use the yeast today

1 Like

Yep. Mason jars are great for holding a vacuum, but not pressure. I always keep the lid a touch loose.

1 Like

This has happened to me as well. I now take the lid off completely, pour out what I can and then swirl and lightly recap so the lid is barely on.

1 Like

Just went and made sure mine were loose

1 Like

Woohoooooo…fireworks! It’s all in fun if no dogs,humans or beer are harmed!

1 Like

Aluminum foil with elastic bands. No Boom.

4 Likes

This is the solution gonna do this on my next starter

Me did find these things in my kitchen this morning. They fit perfect around the mason jarUploading…

1 Like

I use sanitized plastic wrap with the metal rings.

1 Like

As long as it allows for some expansion, it should work fine.

I do think. It can expand. The plastic cover. Only thing for just in case. Got to put a. Plastic band around it. Right now. Working on a. Pilsner. Recipy. For next week brew session. Did hear yesterday. My wife does come back friday. With the evacuation. Flight. To get the stranded people back to bonaire. Ones on bonaire she goes 2 weeks in quaritine. And has tl take the test. She will be locked up at buddy dive. Resort hotel. The goverment rents it

2 Likes

I also use mason jars and keep the lid very loose. I had one that was close to exploding but only bent the lid before I noticed it.

Man that’s kind of wild. They’re actually forcing quarantine! People in the states would lose their flippin’ minds if that happened here.

Yeah does sound weird. But this is for. Just in case. They bringing people back who got stuck. Around the world due to stop of airline flights. And lock down. Because. Till now. We are corona free. And the island would. Keep it that way. Ones they. Arived. They will get a test as well.

Yea I get it. Makes sense but people here are having fits because the “gubmint” wants them to stay home and wear a mask if they go out. Try actually quarantining some southern american who thinks he’s healthy! haha better take his guns first.

Now back to your regularly scheduled exploding mason jars.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com