Licorice smell

Hi, I’ve just bottled an IPA in which I only used Equinox hops. The last brew was the same except I used only CItra hops. When I opened the secondary today I got a slight licorice smell from it. The Citra IPA had no licorice smell. The only difference between the two brews was the fermentation temperatures.

The Citra fermented at 67-68F the whole time. But because of the cold weather the Equinox fermented at 61-62F(about 18 days) and then my basement temp. went up to 66F for 3 more days.

Could this colder temp. and then increase at the end cause this licorice smell? I didn’t really taste it in the beer, just the smell. This was also the slowest fermenting brew I’ve made(that’s why I waited 3 weeks to bottle). I never saw one bubble the whole time it was in the primary or secondary but it went from 1.053OG(a little lower than I was expecting) down to 1.010FG.

Thanks for any help/advise,

Pat.

What yeast did you use, and did you use the same yeast for both batches? I wouldn’t expect any licorice flavors or aromas due to the yeast, but if you’re using something like 1056 or US-05, they’ll both ferment well anywhere from around 60 degrees up to maybe 68 or so with pretty good results. I actually prefer fermenting with 1056 at 60-64 degrees to start, then let it warm to the mid-high 60’s to finish, and the result is a pretty clean, somewhat neutral beer. US-05, on the other hand, will develop some off flavors (some say peachy) if it’s fermented too low (around 58-62 degrees ore so).

I don’t know anything about Equinox hops, but I’m a little suspicious that this might be where your licorice aroma is coming from. As you indicated, Citra shouldn’t exhibit anything approximating licorice.

Edit: I just looked Equinox up and here’s what you should expect:

“A pronounced aroma profile with citrus, tropical fruit, floral and herbal characteristics. Specific descriptors include lemon, lime, papaya, apple, and green pepper.”

Hope this helps a little… :cheers:

Hi Marty,

The yeast I used (same in both brews) was American Ale II, Wyeast Labs 1272. I just read that it’s temperature range is: 60-72F, and that you can ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character. So it doesn’t sound like the yeast is the reason.

And as you said Equinox doesn’t seem to exhibit any licorice aroma either. So who knows.

I’ve never smelled licorice in any of my beers before so I was surprised. I’ll give the bottles a few weeks and see if I notice anything then.

Thanks for you help.

Pat.

[quote=“patc890”]Hi Marty,

The yeast I used (same in both brews) was American Ale II, Wyeast Labs 1272. I just read that it’s temperature range is: 60-72F, and that you can ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character. So it doesn’t sound like the yeast is the reason.

And as you said Equinox doesn’t seem to exhibit any licorice aroma either. So who knows.

I’ve never smelled licorice in any of my beers before so I was surprised. I’ll give the bottles a few weeks and see if I notice anything then.

Thanks for you help.

Pat.[/quote]

Let us know how it turns out. And, by the way, welcome to the forum!

What was your water source for your beer that have that flavor.

Hi, I’m just using my home tap water which is what I’ve used in every brew for years. I’ve never had a brew go wrong. I don’t really think this one is bad but just a little worried about that licorice smell. The only thing I add is some 5.2 Mash pH Stabilizer and yeast nutrient.

Pat.

I brewed an extract Dry Irish Stout a few years ago that had a licorice aroma and taste. I still have some in bottles. Last time I tried one there was still a very faint hint of licorice flavor. It kind of works in the stout. Yeast was 1084 I think.

I suspected caramelization in the kettle but that couldn’t be your issue.

I use 1272 all the time for IPAs fermented low 60s with a D rest around 70. It doesn’t produce anything like that for me.

Hi Danny,

Like you I’ve use 1272 many times in IPAs and never had this. I haven’t done a stout in years so I can’t remember off hand what I used. I think, like you said, a slight licorice smell/flavor might would in a stout but I hope I don’t have it in my IPA.

In a few weeks I’ll report back if it’s still there when I open my first bottle.

Thanks for all the replies.

Pat.