Lets get down to the knitty gritty!

Ok, Im getting so many mixed signals about secondary ferementing!!! It really frustrating. I have been told it is really important and helps clear your beer and helps reduce off tastes etc Then I got guys telling me there is no point in it, dont waste your time, it depends on the beer etc etc. So whats the real deal?

Im am using exclusivley NB extract kits, which some specifically mention secondary fermentation. So…what do i do? What is best for the beer? Is it just a matter of some people dont want to put in the effort of siphoning or is it just not that important?

Whats is scientifically more benifitial for the beer?

[quote=“EagleRising”]Ok, Im getting so many mixed signals about secondary ferementing!!! It really frustrating. I have been told it is really important and helps clear your beer and helps reduce off tastes etc Then I got guys telling me there is no point in it, dont waste your time, it depends on the beer etc etc. So whats the real deal?

Im am using exclusivley NB extract kits, which some specifically mention secondary fermentation. So…what do i do? What is best for the beer? Is it just a matter of some people dont want to put in the effort of siphoning or is it just not that important?

Whats is scientifically more benifitial for the beer?[/quote]

There is no correct answer. there is nothing wrong with doing a secondary, and there is nothing wrong with skipping it. In my experience it won’t lead to a clear-er beer. personally i skip the secondary, less hassle, and less chance of contaminating or oxygenating a batch. there’s not much science behind it as far as i know. there used to be a fear of something called autolyst, but that has been debunked, and is not a concern unless you are leaving it on the yeast for a LONG time, in terms of many months or years, not weeks. It’s up too you weather or not you want to secondary, as long as you leave it in the primary long enough for the yeast to finish their job, for the most part, at least 2 weeks

You do not need a secondary to dry hop, it can be done in the primary
you do not need a secondary for flavorings, it can be done in the primary

some do it for bulk aging high gravity beers. but i just extend the primary, and do the aging in bottles or the keg

I have left a medium gravity beer in the primary for just over 7 weeks, with no ill effects.

the real answer is. It’s up to you. I recommend skipping it. I skip it and am very satisfied with my beers.

-edited for errors

I don’t do fruit beers and have plenty of yeast stored. I DH in primary these days and mainly only have big beers going into secondary.

The majority of the time, a secondary is not needed.
My SOP is typically 3-4 weeks in primary, then keg.
I also dry hop in the primary.

So I have a total of four carboys, and since no one is really saying to secondary, I can skip that and just start another batch right?

yup. but it’s up too you. if you cant think of a reason you need to secondary, then skip it

I typically always do mine just so that I can get it out of the primary and get another beer in there. Before I knew better we bought a ton of secondary 5 gallons so we have them now and I continue to use them with only a few primary 6 gallons. That said if I had it to do over again I probably would switch have bought less 5 gallons and more 6 gallons but I got what I got.

There is “racking to a secondary” and there is “secondary fermentation” and people tend to use “secondary” for both. In the first case, there is no actual fermentation going on, it’s done either to free up space or in the belief that it will help clear the beer or to do a bulk aging. On the other hand, a true secondary fermentation happens when you rack the beer onto fruit or rack to a barrel with bugs or pitch bugs somewhere in the process.

Many times I will secondary if I want a beer to age a bit but want to re-use the yeast.

Yeast will also absorb some of the flavor of dry hopping. Not a big deal on a homebrew level to throw in another 1/4-1/2 oz to compensate.

[quote=“EagleRising”]So I have a total of four carboys, and since no one is really saying to secondary, I can skip that and just start another batch right?[/quote]What type of beer? How long has it been fermenting?

I’d say it depends on what you want to do and your circumstances.

Just recently I used wyeast 1275 and the stuff is feather light. The least disturbance sends a cloud up into the beer. I’m thinking I need a secondary to keep the yeast from making it’s way to the keg.

[quote=“Waszup”]I’m thinking I need a secondary to keep the yeast from making it’s way to the keg.[/quote]If you can, try a cold-crash for a couple days, see if that knocks it down.

+1

sometimes a little yeast gets into the keg, that’s inevitable. but the first pint will carry all that out anyway.

I didn’t consider sours. but i would secondary a sour if i ever made one. or if you need the harvested yeast, then by all means.

IMHO if you can’t think of a reason to secondary, then skip it