Lemon Drop hops

I just placed an order for a few pounds of pellets and on a whim I ordered 2 oz of a new hop called “Lemon Drop.” After reading some descriptions online I am wishing I had ordered at least a half pound to play with. Here is the description: “Big herbal, blackberry, “Super Cascade”, menthol, grassy, citrusy, lemon, citrus, pine, tobacco, licorice, orange, grapefruit, pepper, “Amarillo like”, mint.”

Any suggestions on how to showcase these hops when I only have 2 oz? I’m currently thinking an APA; maybe something like this:

8 lb GW 2-row
1.5 lb Munich

.5 oz Warrior 60 min
1 oz Crystal 10 minutes
1 oz Lemon Drop (flameout/whirlpool)
1 oz Lemon Drop (dry hop)

Wy1056 or 1272

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone ever used these? Thanks!

I think your plan and recipe look great. I may even use a bigger dose (2oz) for whirlpool/hopstand depending on your gravity. Please post back!

I would definitely prefer to go bigger with the whirlpool addition, but then I dont have any left for dry-hopping. I should have known better than to only order 2 oz of a new hop. Do you think I woul dbe better off going with 2 oz in the whirlpool and skipping the dry hopping?

Thanks.

I don’t. Missed that you only have 2oz. I would use them as you have, you want to get the aroma benefit of dry hopping IMO.

+1 Please report back on results. Sounds really interesting!

Where did you find them? Hops Shack is out of stock.

Where did you find them? Hops Shack is out of stock.[/quote]

Yakima Valley Hops. I’ve always had good luck with them, and the shipping is reasonable.

Where did you find them? Hops Shack is out of stock.[/quote]

Yakima Valley Hops. I’ve always had good luck with them, and the shipping is reasonable.[/quote]
Got my half pound today. Planning to brew a single hop IPA with them tomorrow. Looking forward to something different!

Nice! I’m mashing right now. Went with the same recipe I posted above, except I increased the 2-row to 9 lbs. I’m looking forward to hearing how yours turns out. Post your recipe when you have a chance. Happy brewing!

Brewing the recipe below right now. Smells awesome!

Have you had a taste of yours yet?

Recipe: Lemon Drop IPA
Brewer: Danny Clarke
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Briess 2 Row (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 81.8 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Dark (15.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.6 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
1.00 oz Lemon Drop [4.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 mi Hop 4 18.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Magnum [14.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 26.1 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Lemon Drop [4.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 6.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Lemon Drop [4.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 8 7.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 9 -
1.00 oz Lemon Drop [4.70 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB - Danny’s
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash Step Add 20.01 qt of water at 163.2 F 154.0 F 60 min
Heat Sparge Water Add 0.00 qt of water and heat to 190.0 190.0 F 40 min
Sparge to BK Volu Add 9.89 qt of water at 118.4 F 168.0 F 10 min

Danny, your recipe looks great. I’ve been distracted by the holidays and a bad bout of the flu, so mine is still in primary. I’m going to drop the dry-hops in tonight. I’ll probably dry hop right in the primary, but if I’m feeling ambitious I’ll transfer to secondary first so I can harvest the yeast cake. I’ll take a hydro sample tonight and report back on the taste prior to dry hopping.

Danny, that recipe does indeed look good.

How do you all think this malt profile (IPA) would work, with 1 ounce of Lemon Drop at 60, 1 at 15, and 1 at flameout? 5 gallon batch. 154* mash with 168* out.

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (Briess 2-Row Brewer’s Malt)
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (Briess Pale Ale Malt)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (Briess 2 Row Caramel 10)

I want to just single out the Lemon Drop profile.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Damon

Keeping my eye on this thread to see what happens. I had a friend brew with sorachi ace hop, and he thought it was great. Everyone else thought is tasted like lemon pledge, so I have steered clear of anything that says lemon. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :cheers:

[quote=“DamonInPHX”]Danny, that recipe does indeed look good.

How do you all think this malt profile (IPA) would work, with 1 ounce of Lemon Drop at 60, 1 at 15, and 1 at flameout? 5 gallon batch. 154* mash with 168* out.

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (Briess 2-Row Brewer’s Malt)
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (Briess Pale Ale Malt)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (Briess 2 Row Caramel 10)

I want to just single out the Lemon Drop profile.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Damon[/quote]

I would probably drop the crystal down to 8 oz or even 4 oz, but that is just a personal preference. I’m sure it will be good. Wish I had ordered more of the Lemondrop hops for my batch. Hoppiness was kind of subdued when I kegged it. Hopefully being cold and carbed will perk it up. It is conditioning now until a space opens up in the kegerator.

Went with the same recipe I posted above, except I increased the 2-row to 9 lbs. I’m looking forward to hearing how yours turns out. Post your recipe when you have a chance. Happy brewing???

You can join us for best learn spanish[/url] dumps spanishprograms - best ways to learn spanish oracle training solutions. Our [url=http://www.busuu.com/]Busuu

contains all those you want to pass for real

Any of you guys tasted the beers made with these hops yet? Due to other preferences over the holidays mine is still sitting in primary. Hoping to free up a keg for it soon.

Anyone have results with the lemon drop hops?

Believe it or not mine is still sitting in the primary after almost 4 months. Got too caught up in brewing and drinking lagers over the winter. I have made sure the airlock doesn’t dry out and I’ve glanced under the carboy wrapper a couple times to see if there’s a pellicle growing. All appears fine but I should probably think about doing something with that huh… OK for the sake of updating this thread, I promise it goes into the very next available keg!

I found the hop character to be a little muted, so I keg-hopped mine with some Amarillo and Simcoe. Despite the powerful keg-hops, there is a strong lemon-peel character that comes through in the finish. It is an interesting hop, that I think works best in a blend rather than standing alone. I will probably use them again.

The 1 oz didn’t give you much? I was planning on 1-1.5 oz DH in the keg. Maybe I’ll try a combo DH.

Are there any hop descriptors not used in this description? I’m being facetious, of course. I can think of floral, earthy and resinous.