Left grain in bag for boil

It’s been a while since I brewed so I was rusty and trying to cook dinner/put kids to bed while BIAB and left the whole damn bag in there (grain and all) for the boil. Did I ruin the flavor of the beer? I’m brewing a Christmas ale so my intent is to have strong flavor anyway so wondering where on the scale this mistake is between a total fail and just enhancing the flavor.

When did you find out. You left the bag in. Did you pull the bag out. Only thing take a grav reading and a sample taste. Thats the reason on brew day. I focus only on the brewsession. So dont make mistakes or forgot things. But hey learned something again.

How far in until you caught this? or are you saying you did the entire process hop additional and all with the bag in? It may be a bit tannic

Left it in almost the full 60 minutes. Realized with 5 minutes left as I was adding my spices. It smelled and tasted ok, but there’s a ton of sediment in the carboy. I was aiming for a 1.064 OG but got 1.070. Going to assume the off or tannic taste. I’ll probably re-do it next week and have a little taste test later in the fall. I’ve multi-tasked before on brew evenings but its been too long since I did that. So hard to find the time otherwise with kiddos, but on the plus side my daughter helps me bottle.

I know the feeling. I have to time all my brewing with family kitchen activities and not interfere with feeding the kids or all hell will break loose. I recommend a digital thermometer with temperature and countdown alarms. When these go off I remember the step I’m supposed to be doing. You can get some good ones for under $30. I have taken to doing overnight mashes with my BIAB. This way I can maximize my night with the kids and sleep and wakeup in the morning and drain the bag before they are even awake. I think I get improved efficiency this way and I know I get a better nights sleep. I keep the pot covered and burner off and lose about 15 degrees over the coarse of the night. I then sparge with 170F water from a metal tea kettle I dunk/fill in a large spaghetti pot of water.

I will think the brew would have a strong/ harsh flavor… You would pull tannins out of the husk… But it won’t make cringe, you’ll know it though… Sneezles61

I think tannin release is more related to pH than temperature. There are decotions where they boil grains to develop color if I’m correct. You might be okay but only time will tell

1 Like

While you are right about pH. Time and temperature are often a cause. Too hot a sparge is a common culprit.

“Steeping too long, too hot, or too wet. If you steep specialty grains, it’s possible to extract tannins with too much time, temperature, or water. Simply limit the steep to half an hour or so, make sure the temperature doesn’t exceed 168-170°F (76°C), and use 2 quarts of water or less for every pound of grain (4 liters per kilogram).”

I agree with the comments to let it sit a bit to mellow a bit in the bottles…but that may be many months. In the mean time experiment with adding things to make it sweeter to offset the astringency. I have used maple syrup to offset a over oaked bourbon barrel. 1/4 teaspoon in a glass then pour in the 12 ounces.

Bah…urban brewing myth and nonsense. If your pH is right you won’t extract tannins.

The writer lost all credibility with “if your water tastes good this is probably not an issue for you” regarding pH. Most nonsensical thing I’ve ever heard.

2 Likes

I made the most tannic beer in history from grains that were in my dad’s deep freeze since 1987.

1 Like

I agree @dannyboy58. You basically did a full mash decoction. I wonder how it will turn out. I don’t think it will be tannic but maybe very malty and dark.

`I’m with you all the way Danny… Our local brewery DOESNT correct water pre-mash… claims its only needed for yeast health… So he adds acid during the boil… No lace and hardly even a bubble in their brews… They do clear with polyclear… Sneezles61