Least Favorite Hops?

I cannot stand dank or piney beers. At all. So Chinook and CTZ are on the blacklist. As are most IPAs and IIPAs on the shelves at the liquor store.

So is Saaz; a bit of cheese and skunk perhaps, but I don’t think they are spicy.

NB forum: what are your dislikes?

[quote=“hans caravan”]I cannot stand dank or piney beers. At all. So Chinook and CTZ are on the blacklist. As are most IPAs and IIPAs on the shelves at the liquor store.

So is Saaz; a bit of cheese and skunk perhaps, but I don’t think they are spicy.

NB forum: what are your dislikes?[/quote]

I hate Fuggles. smell and taste like dirt.

Sounds like you’ve gotten some bad Saaz. Good ones aren’t like that.

I dislike Northern Brewer hops (the ones they use in Anchor Steam beer. They taste too minty. I also am one who doesn’t like the piney hops so much. The American ones I enjoy are the citrusy ones, esp grapefruit.

Wow, that’s a tough question for me. I would have to say its a toss up between Williamette and Fuggles but I really think I like all hops. I just don’t like stinky cheesy ones that were not stored properly.

I’m an equal opportunity user. Don’t have a single hop that I “hate”, but a few I use less often than others. Fuggles does come to mind, maybe German tradition (perhaps they’ve been bad twice), summit is a bit too oniony for me.

I don’t like Citra in my beers, but in some commercial beers I do. SN Torpedo is one that comes to mind.

Willamette in the background is good, don’t like it as a single hop.

Amarillo, and when I think of it, several other of the newer American varieties I’ve tried. Am I the only one that isn’t wild about cat pee in beer?

I read something awhile ago about how certain people (genetically) can taste the cat pea flavor in Citra, while others can’t. I myself enjoy it.

Summit - smells like a tangerine, tastes like onion rings sprinkled with Asiago. Makes a great beer to cook with, though.

Otherwise, I’ve come across some hop varieties that didn’t do a heck of a lot for me, but none that I can really say I dislike.

I had a beer turn out pretty awful a few months ago, and I used Brewer’s Gold hops, which I’d never used before. I can’t say for sure that the hops were totally to blame, but they were a pretty likely suspect in my mind. The beer just had a really overpowering sour fruit character that I couldn’t get into at all. I think I’ll avoid using those hops again for quite some time.

I hate Summit. Not a fan of the onion. I dislike Citra as a single hop, but really like them when blended carefully. I hate resin/pine as dominant characteristics(Chinook and simcoe), but can appreciate them when used modestly. I don’t like lemon in beer, so sorachi ace is out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I didn’t mind Amarillo until I read that it reminded someone of cat pee… now that’s all I get when I use them. :frowning:

So needless to say - I don’t use them anymore.

I don’t mind Simcoe. I get wet leaves, dirt and musty orange from them, but not pine; nor cat pee for that matter.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]I hate Summit. Not a fan of the onion. I dislike Citra as a single hop, but really like them when blended carefully. I hate resin/pine as dominant characteristics(Chinook and simcoe), but can appreciate them when used modestly. I don’t like lemon in beer, so sorachi ace is out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk[/quote]

You just reminded me of the fact that I did use that hop once in a beer, too, along with the Brewers’ Gold hops, in that beer I mentioned before. That beer was pretty bad. I guess it wasn’t necessarily just the BG hops that killed that one. I’ll have to remember that in the future.

Northern Brewer, tastes like wood.

I really do like Willamette as a clean hop in a lightly hopped beer (stout, porter, etc). Also it is commonly used as a blending hop at least here in the northeast.

Not a huge fan of Mt.Hood or Perle. I have a ton of 2012 perle leftover and only use it for bittering now. I absolutely HATE Simcoe by itself or as the main flavor hop. A little blended with more citrusy American hops I do like, but only if it’s very restrained. All I get from Simcoe is pine, pine, and more pine. Tastes like I’m drinking one of those cheap tree air fresheners that people used to hang from their review mirrors.

Citra on the other hand I am madly in love with. If they ever allow hop/human marriages, my wife is in trouble. Every night I lay my head down on pillow filled with a few pounds of whole leaf citra! :lol:

[quote=“erockrph”]Summit - smells like a tangerine, tastes like onion rings sprinkled with Asiago. Makes a great beer to cook with, though.

[/quote]

Funny, that’s what I like best about Summit, probably my favorite IPA hop. I love that dank oniony-ness it has, especially early on. For some reason, I never really liked Centennial, mostly based on using a lot of the 2011 harvest. Always tasted kind of harsh to me.

I’m surprised by how many don’t like fuggles. I just made a smash with them and it turned out great. Then again I don’t think there is any hop that I don’t like. Certainly there are some combinations that don’t go together though.

Oh yeah. I am a huge fan of both Amarillo and Perle, but when I combined them in a pale ale last summer and did a hop stand I found the beer to be overly fruity and one dimentional. Definitely too much of a good thing.

Oh yeah. I am a huge fan of both Amarillo and Perle, but when I combined them in a pale ale last summer and did a hop stand I found the beer to be overly fruity and one diminutional. Definitely too much of a good thing.[/quote]
You see, to me that just means that I need more hop variety to balance it out. If it were me, I’d just try adding some Columbus, Apollo or Nelson the next time I brewed that beer.