Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Leaf vs Pellet Hops

Hey!

I’ve recently started using leaf hops and I have to say, they’re really annoying to use in the boil. The recipe used 4 ounces which isn’t typical so maybe I’m over reacting but the dealing with the volume of the leaf hops after sitting in water was a real pita.

My question is, are there any difference between using pellet, leaf, or plug hops? I’m using more leaf hops for dry hopping and think I’m going to restrict my leaf hop usage to dry hopping.

What do you think?

I don’t have enough experience myself, but I’ve frequently heard that leaf hops are better than pellets for flavor and aroma.

I have an IPA recipe on deck that will end up using close to 7 ounces of leaf hops and my setup is maxed out at about 4 gallons for a boil volume. I’m a little worried about getting everything to fit in my brew kettle. I’ve also been thinking about taking the hops for a spin in a sanitized salad spinner after I transfer my wort to my fermenter to try to drain as much wort as I can.

I only use them for dry hops.

You can put them in a muslin bag just use about 10% more makes it easy to get out, they will swell up like a football.

I use them as much as I can meaning if they are available especially in the secondary for dry hopping.

[quote=“OlYeller21”]
My question is, are there any difference between using pellet, leaf, or plug hops? I’m using more leaf hops for dry hopping and think I’m going to restrict my leaf hop usage to dry hopping.

What do you think?[/quote]

I spent a while ONLY using whole hops, and I was very happy with my results. I switched to pellets for ease-of-use and storage. there really isn’t much difference IMO. I would not avoid buying whole hops if pellets weren’t available and visa-versa

[quote=“S.Scoggin”][quote=“OlYeller21”]

What do you think?[/quote]

I spent a while ONLY using whole hops, and I was very happy with my results. I switched to pellets for ease-of-use and storage. there really isn’t much difference IMO. I would not avoid buying whole hops if pellets weren’t available and visa-versa[/quote]

I agree. I buy whole hops if they’re domestic varieties and I know when they were picked and how they were handled. I buy pellets for European varieties because pellets keep better.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com