Larger batches in multiple small fermenters

New to home brewing here… Just curious if there is any problem with getting a 2 or 5 gallon recipe kit and splitting the wort in multiple 1 gallon fermenters? I have multiple 1 gallon jugs, this is why I ask. Thanks in advance!

You certainly can. It’s just more work at cleanup time. The advantage of splitting is you can experiment with different adjuncts and dry hopping and really compare while keeping the base wort the same.
The real trick will be dividing the yeast up evenly. I guess I sanitize my bottling bucket and add the yeast to the whole batch and then split it up. If I were you

1 Like

My take… Split your single wort into multiple fermenters… Do have extra types of brewing yeast to try… You’ll find out just much yeast can also change the brews flavor…
Also, welcome to Northern Brewers forum…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the feedback and the welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

I do 20 gallons and always have to split up the batch into either three (12 gallon conical and 6 gallon buckets or carboys). It’s not a big deal. I use a bucket that has graduations so I know how much wort is collected for each. For yeast I either use a large starter and just eyeball the amount for each or packets of dry, 1 for 5 gallons 2 for 10.