Lager Yeast

Hi All,

In the near future (after the polar vortex) I will make my first lager. Question: do I need to chill the starter down to the same temp as the wort?

In this case the desired temp for the yeast fermentation is 52 degrees. I plan to get the wort down to that temp and was figuring that I will need to get my yeast down to the same temp, put on the stir plate again for about 20 mins, than pitch.

Does this seem copacetic?

You can ferment your starter at room temps. After your starter ferments out (24hrs or so) chill the starter in the fridge for a day or two. On brew day, decant the spent wort and pitch the yeast into your cooled wort.

And don’t warm the starter up before pitching.

Thanks guys!

I am lost on the decanting step. Would that be the clearer liquid on top dump out, swirl the remaining fluid and pitch directly to the chilled wort?

Thanks

[quote=“andymag”]Thanks guys!

I am lost on the decanting step. Would that be the clearer liquid on top dump out, swirl the remaining fluid and pitch directly to the chilled wort?

Thanks[/quote]

Yes, sir. You cold crash to drop as much yeast out of suspension as possible. On brew day, pour off most of the spent wort, leaving just a little bit to swirl the yeast up. Swirl and pitch.

And like Denny said, there’s no need to warm up the starter on brew day. You can go straight from the fridge into your fermentor. In the past I would let it sit out and naturally warm for ales, but after Denny’s advice I’ve stopped. I haven’t noticed any problems since switching.

I kind of backed myself up against the wall with this one. I plan to make my starter this evening and brew tomorrow. Is there anything wrong with brewing, oxygenating my wort, then putting the wort in a sealed fermenter with the starter (this being in the lager freezer at 52 degrees F) for a day or so to get them to the same temp, or should I just wait for another time to brew?

edit I do plan on chilling my wort down to about 60 degrees prior to adding to the fermenter, oxygenating and storing in the freezer.

[quote=“andymag”]I kind of backed myself up against the wall with this one. I plan to make my starter this evening and brew tomorrow. Is there anything wrong with brewing, oxygenating my wort, then putting the wort in a sealed fermenter with the starter (this being in the lager freezer at 52 degrees F) for a day or so to get them to the same temp, or should I just wait for another time to brew?

edit I do plan on chilling my wort down to about 60 degrees prior to adding to the fermenter, oxygenating and storing in the freezer.[/quote]

I’d wait and do it right. why waste your ingredients and time on a batch that could be sub par? You definitely won’t have time to grow enough yeast, let alone crash and decant it.