Lager Yeast Recommendations for German PIls

Hey everyone. I’ve been brewing for a few years and have had success but I’m only now taking a serious run at lagers this winter. I want to make some German Pils type beers this winter and would like to play around with some different yeasts to see what’s most to my liking. The WLP 830 is an obvious choice but I’m kind of at a loss for what else to try. There are the various Urquell strains and the Budweiser strain that seem like possibilities. Could anyone recommend one that they think would work well in this type of beer? Wyeast or White Labs is fine.

I have used 830 a lot.

Dry Dock’s head brewer swears by Wyeast 2206 http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain … cfm?ID=132

I’ll also swear by 2206. Ferments very clean. I use it for most of my lagers. It even worked well for a Cali common I made last spring when I couldn’t get SF Lager yeast.

Wyeast 2124 is comparable to WL 830. If you want a dry yeast, then 34/70 is the Weihenstephan yeast that should make a good pils.

:cheers:

I plan to go with a liquid yeast. Has anyone tried the WLP833 Bock Lager yeast in a Pils type beer?

Yep. Tastes good, but doesn’t leave the beer quite as crisp as I like German pils to be. I’ve tried 2206 with the same results. After trying probably 5 different yeasts for German pils, I’ve settled in WY2124 as my favorite.

I just made a string of lagers with WLP802. The German pils was one of the best. It made an excellent Schwarzbier too. The CAPs were great as well. Dry and crisp. The BoPills was 8 lb Pillsner just like the German Pils but with more hops, softer water and a higher mash temp. It came out too dry. Probably would need some crystal to get it right.

Yep. Tastes good, but doesn’t leave the beer quite as crisp as I like German pils to be. I’ve tried 2206 with the same results. After trying probably 5 different yeasts for German pils, I’ve settled in WY2124 as my favorite.[/quote]
2124 is very good yeast.

+1 on the 2421