Lager secondary trub

Bit of a lager noob here…I just racked my first lager (schwarzbier w/2206) to secondary last night. There is already a lot of sediment in the bottom. Maybe an inch or so. Should I bother to rack it again before I lager it? I brought it up to the low 60s for a rest for a couple days before I racked it and its still at that temp. If anything, that is a bunch of yeast I could wash.

Holy crap, that seems like a lot to fall out of your secondary.

I’ve done several schwarzbier w/2206, and might get a inch of crap during primary and then maybe an 1/8th to 1/4 inch during secondary.

do you place the autosiphon directly to the bottom of the primary? if so, stop. slowly lower the siphon to the bottom as it transfers beer to your seconday. that way, it only picks up a very small amount of trub from the primary.

if you’ve got an inch now in secondary, then yes, sanitize another carboy and transfer again. the more you leave behind in primary/secondary, the less that will end up in your bottle or keg.

cheers.

I left all the trub in the primary and siphoned from above it…leads me to believe I jumped the gun a bit. Gravity was 1.017

Keep in mind that yeast that settles in the secondary tends to be a much thinner layer but it clings to the sides as in your photo. It tends to look like much more than it is. I’ve had this experience with 5 gallon carboys when doing meads/ciders. If you really left behind the sediment in the primary I bet you have nothing to worry about.

[quote=“JLap”]Keep in mind that yeast that settles in the secondary tends to be a much thinner layer but it clings to the sides as in your photo. It tends to look like much more than it is. I’ve had this experience with 5 gallon carboys when doing meads/ciders. If you really left behind the sediment in the primary I bet you have nothing to worry about.[/quote]+1. I’ve seen the same thing, plus my carboys are around a 1/4" lower around the outer part of the bottom than the center.

I wouldn’t worry about the gravity at 1.017. My last was also 1.017 and others have been in high teens too. If your OG was near 1.060, then 1.017 is in the realm of expected FG.