Lager does not appear active

Doing my first lager ever, a 5 gallon NB czech pilsner extract kit with the Wyeast 2278 smack pack. I created a 1000ml starter with the smack pack and pitched it a little over a day ago at a pretty constant 48-50 degrees. I know lagers are bottom fermenting but I haven’t seen any activity in the bubble lock and it appears not to be doing anything. Does it normally take this long? Should I be worried? Any advice?

lagers take longer, i’ve had to wait at least a couple days on some. and ity won’t be an active explosive fermentation like you are used to in the ales. think the difference between a race car and a volkswagen :lol:

I don’t think your batch is ruined or anything, but it seems like you underpitched. Mr Malty recommends 2 smackpacks/vials in a 1.5 L starter for a 1.050 bo pils if you are using a stir plate (I’m assuming you were within the guidelines for this style). So not a huge deal, and you will still make a pils, but definitely grow up some more yeast on your next batch. This one will still be good, all other things equal, but it could have definitely used more yeast.

As to your question, even with the proper pitch rates, lagers will take much longer than ales, all other things equal, to show airlock activity or enter the active fermentation phase.

You could also bring your temps up to 55* and not hurt anything.

I’ll let it go a little longer and see what happens. Fingers crossed. :?

I recently did a lager with 34/70. I pitched the yeast around 3:30 pm (52f) and had signs of fermentation at 7 am. Pitch enough lager yeast and it shouldn’t take all that much longer to start than an ale.

Got home from work tonight and there was definitely a light layer of foam on top and air coming through the bubbler about every 6-8 seconds so I think it will be fine. I’ll have to remember to pitch more next time. It’s not a high gravity so I think there shouldn’t be too much strain on what I pitched. Thanks again for the advice! Cheers :cheers:

now when this beer gets done just pitch the next beer right on top of the yeast.