Lag time vs colder fermentation temp?

I’ve read many times that fermentation at the lower end of the temp range for a particular yeast is preferable. But when I chill my wort down to the lower end of the temp range and keep it there, I have much longer lag times before I see activity in my airlock.

Maybe is wuld be better to start fermentation with wort temp at the higher end of the range so there is a very short lag time and then further cool the wort a few degrees from there? Of maybe this is a non-issue and a bit longer lag time at a lower wort temp doesn’t hurt.

I practice good cleaning habits and have never had an infected beer.

Any opinions about lag times and temp would be appreciated.

Thanks!

There are lots of opinions both ways on this, and honestly in my own mind the jury’s still out as I haven’t experimented enough to know for sure which was is best. I can see the potential advantages/disadvantages of each but don’t know if they’re real or just theoretical.

Personally I pitch when the wort is reasonably cool in the 60s or 70s – sometimes the wort is too cool and the temperature rises after pitching, and other times it’s warm and cools down. So I’m probably about 50/50 and I really don’t keep track. I’ve honestly not tried to discern whether there’s much difference between the two and I believe I’m making decent beers either way.

Best thing to do if you want to form your own opinion is to experiment for yourself! Then YOU can be the expert!

If your sanitation is good, longer lag times make no difference. And if you’re pitching the right amount of healthy yeast, the lag won’t be all that long even at cooler temps. I prefer pitching all lagers at about 48F and almost all ales at 62F. I get the results I want and if the lag time is longer, it just doesn’t matter to the finished beer quality.

Pitch cool.

I pitch ales at 60.

I quit brewing in the summer because I can’t chill that low without heroic efforts.

[quote=“simple”]Pitch cool.

I pitch ales at 60.

I quit brewing in the summer because I can’t chill that low without heroic efforts.[/quote]

Spending the whole summer wishing for winter. That must be the definition of Hell…

I spend my very busy summers drinking the rewards of my winter , bomber after bomber.
It is fun to live with the seasons.

[quote=“simple”]I spend my very busy summers drinking the rewards of my winter , bomber after bomber.
It is fun to live with the seasons.[/quote]

I live in NC too, and have considered using a pre-chiller. Basically, since I already own an immersion chiller, I’m going to hook my hose to it, place it in a full bucket of ice and water, and have the outlet go into a new counterflow chiller that I am working on.

Probably the best way to get the wort down to pitching temps in our area since the water is just too hot in the summer.

Work seven days a week from memorial day to labor day.
Don’t really have time for it if I’m gonna get anything else done.
Screw it.

[quote=“Ken in MN”][quote=“simple”]Pitch cool.

I pitch ales at 60.

I quit brewing in the summer because I can’t chill that low without heroic efforts.[/quote]

Spending the whole summer wishing for winter. That must be the definition of Hell…[/quote]

I don’t brew over June July and August, but do beerfests instead.

[quote=“Templar”][quote=“simple”]I spend my very busy summers drinking the rewards of my winter , bomber after bomber.
It is fun to live with the seasons.[/quote]

I live in NC too, and have considered using a pre-chiller. Basically, since I already own an immersion chiller, I’m going to hook my hose to it, place it in a full bucket of ice and water, and have the outlet go into a new counterflow chiller that I am working on.

Probably the best way to get the wort down to pitching temps in our area since the water is just too hot in the summer.[/quote]

I tryed a prechiller and it didn’t seem to work as well as I would have liked. I now use a pump that I place in a bucket of ice water. I don’t use the pump till I get under 100. If I need to I switch out the ice. For ice I just use milk jug that I cut the top off.