Lactose

I am working up a milk stout recipe and would appreciate some advice.

I feel like some milk stouts have an overly sweet finish and I would like to avoid that. Does anyone have a recommendation for how much lactose to add per 5 gallons. The OG will be in the area of 1.055.

Thanks,
Joe

I used 1lb in mine and although it was there, it wasn’t overly noticable. I would actually consider using a little more next time. Maybe 1-1/2lbs

+1 to what Dobe said. My last milk stout was a partial mash oatmeal stout that I added a pound of lactose to. Definitely not too sweet but you can tell it’s there.

Good luck. Milk stout is one of my favorite brews.

Ron

Amen to the milk stout!!! Been drinking a few Terrapin Moo Hoo’s and Founders Club Breakfast Stouts over the holidays. Damn I love them.

Any recommendations for a milk stout partial mash kit similar in taste and ABV to the ones I mention?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Joe

[quote=“Scalded Dog”]Amen to the milk stout!!! Been drinking a few Terrapin Moo Hoo’s and Founders Club Breakfast Stouts over the holidays. Damn I love them.

Any recommendations for a milk stout partial mash kit similar in taste and ABV to the ones I mention?[/quote]

I called it “Kitchen Sink Stout”. Used NB’s oatmeal stout partial mash kit; added .5lbs extra oatmeal in mash, soaked 2 vanilla beans (split and scraped) and cacao nibs (about 1/4 cup) in vodka and added to secondary. Added 1 lb lactose to boil. It’s been in the bottle now for about 3 months and is getting better every week. Probably will use more lactose next time, and maybe a little maltodextrin for body. I have had Founders breakfast stout and am also a big fan. I can’t say mine is even close, but it does remind me of it. When I get the chance I’ll do a side by side. Hope I’m pleasantly surprised.

For the record, I just can’t get enough of Finch’s Secret Stache Stout. I swear I grow a little hair back in my bald spot with each sip.

Ron

I’ll be if you added 1lb of coffee and 1 LB of candy sugar to your kitchen sink stout it would be closer to founders breakfast stout

A pound is too much. I would go with 3/4 lb for 5 gallons.

I cannot offer much advice, but I have a milk stout in the secondary and used 1lb of lactose and 4oz cocoa nibs and cannot wait to keg it. :smiley:

Did my first milk stout for our annual Christmas Party and I did use 1lb of lactose. Might agree with DMT, and would hold back on the lactose for the next batch. Also want to try cold steeping the grains to see the impact of that as well. I’ll probably try 3/4 pounds as he recommended in his post.

I used a pound in a 5-gallon batch, and it was a tad too much for me. I agree with Dave. Either that, or make sure you bump up the roasted grains a bit to balance it out.

Depends what you are looking for, I’ve typically used between 1/2 and 1 pound in milk stouts. Last beer I used lactose in was this year’s Xmas beer, where I used 1 kg (2.2 lbs). I intentionally wanted it to be sweet to enhance the chocolate and balance out coffee I added in it, and for it to have a substantial body. Worked OK in that beer, but 3/4 lb sounds about right for a stout.