Labor day brewing

What do you mean by bigger? Higher alcohol? Does this mean if you are shooting for a 62 degree fermentation temp, and brewing a big beer, you really need to shoot for a room at 55-56 degrees?

Also, will the warmth just produce off flavors? It still seems to be fermenting quite well.[/quote]
Higher OG. A warmer fermentation will produce phenolic or solventy flavors. A room that is around 60F +/- a degree or two would be fine, I think.

Labor day weekend was for bottling my Christmas Barley Wine that I brewed on new years Eve last year. Thief taste test was spectacular. 8.5 ABV, clear as a bell, smooth with a nice alcohol bite.
Brew day consisted of making my Thanksgiving Pumpkin Ale. Roasted two sugar pie pumpkins on the grill to get a little smoke into the recipe. Pureed the pumpkin too fine and had a hell of a time with a stuck sparge. Well Live and learn.
Tapped my Black Honey IPA, Very nice.
Also took some hops into NB to get their opinion on harvest time. 2-4 weeks to harvest.
Good brewing weekend.

Brewed myself a Rauchbier. Should be ready mid October, perfect time to be drinking some smoke

No brewing last weekend, just processing. Kegged Vienna Lager, threw cacao nibs into the oatmeal stout, added dry hop to the IPA and moved the Kolsch to the chill chest.

This weekend will be brewing some Ofest beers, kegging a couple and trying to find the CO2 leak in the kegerator. Wasted a fresh filled 5# tank… grumblegrumble.

We did a group brew day. Cinn-Maple-Oatmeal Stout and Broken Key Ale. Killed a keg of Two Hearted for the weekend, too.

What do you mean by bigger? Higher alcohol? Does this mean if you are shooting for a 62 degree fermentation temp, and brewing a big beer, you really need to shoot for a room at 55-56 degrees?

Also, will the warmth just produce off flavors? It still seems to be fermenting quite well.[/quote]
Higher OG. A warmer fermentation will produce phenolic or solventy flavors. A room that is around 60F +/- a degree or two would be fine, I think.[/quote]

Cool, thanks.

I think I will try to find an old chest fridge/freezer for future beers on craigslist and put in a thermostat or digital temp controller as found on this site.