Kveik Yeast Discussion

I think unfermentables is a new thing. It’s nuance of those of us working with this yeast. While I have zero room for an additional fridge besides the one dedicated to food I would jump at the chance for another (when the kids leave for sure). I will start kegging then as well. Hopefully I will still be able to you a natural gas stove at that time… seems they might be illegal by then.

What’s the recipe for the “thinner bodied” beer? As noted you may just need a few more grains that would create a less fermentable wort. Or you could try increasing your mash temp for a similar result.

1 Like

The recipe was 86% 2-row pale malt and 13% Briess caramel 40L. I mashed this at 156F for 60 minutes. I used the Omega Hothead yeast. The OG was 1.053 and finished with a FG 0f 1.012. I really like the clean finish and enjoy the taste. Even my wife likes it (happy wife - happy life). I’m not into the “creamy” beers, but as I understand it the addition of dextrins from the non-fermentable can add body. Maybe something I can experiment with during the fall/winter months when the temperatures will let me use another yeast too.

Interesting. I’d have expected that beer to have plenty of body with that much c40 and mashed that high. You could also add a little wheat malt or oats for more mouthfeel.

Torrified wheat is a nice adder for body too.

That’s should be good I’ve made a boatload of beers at 90/10 that’s the ratio I learned at the Sam Adams brewery. I’ve since started using alot less or non at all except when I’m making my Sam recipe

I guess I don’t understand why a brew finishing at 12 is thin… Sometimes known as flabby up here… Mine are finishing down to 05… Perhaps using 1 pound wheat per 5 gallons changes it…
I suggest you enjoy it! You’ve come along ways… Quudos!! Sneezles61

1 Like

1.012 doesn’t seem thin in my mind either. The Abbey ale I just made is at 1.009 and isn’t thin to my tastes. The 1.005 IPA I’m trying to finish is definitely thin and the hops are also way too assertive.

2 Likes

Does the torrified wheat make your beer cloudy? I always associated wheat with beers tough to clear. I have of course done 60/40 wheat beers that were very clear when I made no effort to clear them and they came out crystal clear anyway.

A little more if agitated

We use it at about 7% and 10% in our ESB and IPA daily drinker, respectively, and it’s not a problem.

FYI… I pulled a bottle that had been aging for 4 weeks and what a difference. Maybe what I termed as thin may have been less carbonated as this beer had a nice swish-sound when opened. It had a nice head and much more body. Very nice flavor.

2 Likes

This is one of the hardest things especially until you get a supply built up. Don’t get me wrong I’ll drink the beers through the conditioning process. It’s best not to pass judgement until about a month conditioning

2 Likes

Full carbonation and a little aging definitely improves a beer. If you have a bottle or two around another couple months they’ll likely get even better.

1 Like

I am starting to learn as @brew_cat said. I judge my beers immediately and start drinking them before they are actually ready in the bottle. Might start waiting at least a month to crack one open even though it is difficult to wait

1 Like

Me use madon jars. Once cold crash the yeast. Next day check. Pour some out of the jar. So no kaboooom. Had saturday. One hissing at me once i did open the jar to pitch yeast

So I just made a neipa yesterday and pitched imperial A44 which is 3 different kviek strains. Pitched at 80 degrees and it took off withing 2 hours and reached high krausen some time in the night. Going to keep this yeast around for as long as I can since it’s only available seasonally at the moment. Pretty incredible yeast!

1 Like

Only kind i do use. Kveik. Yeast. As my main yeast strain.

1 Like

The balance of the strains will not be the same the next time you use it and with enough time it will become dominated by a single strain. Which is fine.

Yeh imperial actually suggests repitching the A44