Kettle Input

I’m looking to buy a new kettle. Something that can handle both 5 and 10 gallon BIAB batches, is stainless and wont break the bank.

I’ve narrowed it down to two contenders:

Tall Boy 15 Gal

Bayou Classic 16 Gal
http://www.provantage.com/bayou-classic-1064~7BAYC001.htm

The advantages of the Tall Boy are: thicker gauge steel; and tri-ply bottom

The advantages of the Bayou are: greater capacity (16 vs 15 gal), included ball-valve, and price

I’m leaning toward the Bayou based mainly on the additional capacity. The only thing that worries me is the lack of a tri-ply bottom. But I have read mixed reviews on the necessity of tri-ply.

Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Go 25 and get this for $124 shipped to your house. Pre drilled and ready for thermometer and ball valve.

eBay BK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131029173045?var=430215541035&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

OR
check out these prices for quality pots

Instawares Stock pots
http://www.instawares.com/Category/Kitchen-Supplies/Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pots

If you ever plan on using it inside make sure it’s not too tall to fit on the stove under the microwave if you have that kind of setup.

Chris, I just got a Bayou Classic like this one for just over $200.00. I haven’t used it yet but it’s really nice, has a triclad bottom, 20 gauge and has volume graduations in qts/gals. It seems really well
made.

The price for the one you show is really good. It’s the same one I have minus the temp gauge/false bottom and bazooka screen. I’m guessing they would still add up to less than $200.00.

Thanks for the input, guys. But nobody addressed my question about the necessity of a tri-clad (tri-ply) bottom.

Are you brewing on a burner or stove? The Tri-clad might help transfer heat better on a stove but it shouldn’t matter much if you have a burner. I have a blichmann boilermaker and I don’t believe it has tri-clad bottom and i can get 7 gallons to boil in 10-15 minutes (never really timed it so I might be off, going from memory).

Are you brewing on a burner or stove? The Tri-clad might help transfer heat better on a stove but it shouldn’t matter much if you have a burner. I have a blichmann boilermaker and I don’t believe it has tri-clad bottom and i can get 7 gallons to boil in 10-15 minutes (never really timed it so I might be off, going from memory).[/quote]

I would speculate that a tri-clad will help avoid scorching that can occur in the Blichmann. I have a grate between my blichmann and my burner, and when my burner is/has been on high during my brewday, I notice scorch marks in the pattern of my grate (at the end of the day, during cleanup).

I don’t know if this has adversely affected my beer; I suspect not, but I don’t know.

I use this

http://morebeer.com/products/heavy-duty ... allon.html

They will have 10% of coupons if you can wait. I have also seen the kettle on sale for $250. Shipping is free. Shipping was super quick.

The kettle has welded fittings. They even send a SS 1/2" ball valve and a SS plug so the setup is mostly complete (hell there was already teflon tap on the threading)

I do 10 gallon BIAB batches with this and it has the 5mm tri-clad bottom. I really like the tri-clad bottom because it distributes the heat evenly and you can apply flame and it won’t burn your bag.

I will raise/maintain mash temps, with a low flame, on a Blichmann floor burner and let the bag rest on the bottom (with frequent stirring). No Discoloration on the bag at all.

I can’t speak of using a kettle without the tri-clad bottom but I would think you would need to raise the bag off the bottom prior to and during heating.

[quote=“Scalded Dog”]Chris, I just got a Bayou Classic like this one for just over $200.00. I haven’t used it yet but it’s really nice, has a triclad bottom, 20 gauge and has volume graduations in qts/gals. It seems really well
made.

The price for the one you show is really good. It’s the same one I have minus the temp gauge/false bottom and bazooka screen. I’m guessing they would still add up to less than $200.00.

[/quote]

Ah, so you did go for that one. Good call. Let us know when you’ve made a batch with it. I’m quite happy with mine.

It should prevent scorching. I do a lot of cooking and one of my specialties is gumbo and when I use a higher quality pot with a thick bottom it seems to perform much better than one with a thin bottom. I would assume the same when brewing. I scorched a batch the last time I brewed with my old el cheapo turkey cooker. I don’t plan to brew again for a couple of weeks but when I do I will post whether or not this helped.

It should prevent scorching. I do a lot of cooking and one of my specialties is gumbo and when I use a higher quality pot with a thick bottom it seems to perform much better than one with a thin bottom. I would assume the same when brewing. I scorched a batch the last time I brewed with my old el cheapo turkey cooker. I don’t plan to brew again for a couple of weeks but when I do I will post whether or not this helped.[/quote]

From what I understand, the tri-ply bottom is really only helpful when cooking (as you mentioned) or if your an extract brewer; LME can scorch very easily. I do AG batches, so not really a concern.

So I ended up pulling the trigger on the Bayou 1064 and after some preliminary tests, I’m happy with the purchase. One thing to be aware of is that the bulk head the ballvalve connects to is not welded into the pot; it’s a weldless ball valve. But the height of the ball valve is perfect. I put a 90 degree elbow on it to act as a diptube and it drains that sucker, leaving behind only about 3 cups.

The ball valve they included also seems very well-made and industrial.

The volume markers etched into the inside of the pot are very helpful and may help me avoid adding on an external site gauge.

The thickness of the pot is what you would expect from Bayou, a bit flimsier than say a megapot, but they heat up good and fast.

Overall, I’m pleased with the purchase.

I wanted to share a little input from my first batch in the Bayou Classic pot. It’s a great pot and it performed very well (brewed a batch of the Elevenses Ale) however IMO that Bazooka screen is absolutely worthless. The outlet valve is situated a couple of inches off the very bottom of the pot and with the screen in place it won’t allow all of the wort to drain out no matter how high you tip it. I’m going to brew another batch tomorrow with the screen completely out and see how that works.

I guess if you didn’t mind wasting over a gallon of wort/hops mix it would have been fine but for me I’d rather dump it in the fermentor and strain it out when I rack to the keg.