Kegging questions- poppets & lids

Hi Everyone,

I just finished emptied (consumed) my 1st homebrew keg (Raspberry Wheat). After cleaning the keg and checking things out. I saw that the one poppet (ball lock) wasn’t setting right, so I swapped in a poppet (pin lock) and it fit perfectly even though it looks different.

Is there a real difference between ball lock and pink lock poppets?

Also, I cleaned and re-assembled the keg, I put it under pressure checking for leaks, I now have a leak at the pressure relief valve on the lid. It’s a Coca-Cola lid.

I read somewhere that those release valve are once and done and not replaceable, is this true? or would I be better off getting a lid with the pin-pull release.

On deck is Irish Blonde Ale & Scotch Ale

Thanks
Steve

I would take the pressure relief valve out and clean the sealing surface. Also seat and reseat it a few times. Never had one leak.
S.

The poppets do come in several sizes. Just as long as they work you’re fine. No telling if the first one was even the right kind.

I don’t have experience with the Coke pressure relief valves though.

I recently had a leaky PRV after filling a keg. I just kept screwing with it until it seated properly. Turn it, pull it, turn it … I will make sure to check and clean it after the keg kicks.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I pulled out the pressure release valve, cleaned it up, seated and re-seated a few times. I put the tank under pressure, and it’s holding. I’ll check it again in the morning and if all’s well, I’ll keg that Irish Blonde.

Thanks again,

Steve

[quote=“SMohr”]Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I pulled out the pressure release valve, cleaned it up, seated and re-seated a few times. I put the tank under pressure, and it’s holding. I’ll check it again in the morning and if all’s well, I’ll keg that Irish Blonde.

Thanks again,

Steve[/quote]
Then you can tap that Irish blonde!