Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Kegging/carb question

I have transferred into my keg and carbonating at 30 psi. I have not chilled it yet, will it hurt the beer if I have the product line attached while it’s carbing. I read you shouldn’t but I can’t see what the difference would be.

I’m not sure what you mean by product line.

If you don’t chill the keg, it will not carbonnate (at least not very much).

I’ve had the tap’s seal fail when the pressure gets up toward 30psi territory. Messy.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]I’m not sure what you mean by product line.

If you don’t chill the keg, it will not carbonnate (at least not very much).[/quote]

Sure it will. I routinely carb kegs at room temp and at 30psi. When a spot opens in my kegerator, I pop the pre-carbed keg in and let it cool for a day. I set the psi to about 7-10psi, bleed off pressure if needed, and it’s good to go.

My SOP is to carb cold starting at 30psi for a 24hrs. Then drop down to 20psi for another 24hrs. Then down to 10psi until properly carbed, but if I don’t have an open spot in my kegerator, I’ll carb warm and let it sit until a spot opens. In this case I just let it sit at 30psi for a few days. Once cooled, the pressure will drop and then it’s just a matter of adding more or releasing some pressure to dial it in.

Damn…never thought of that. :shock:

Note to self: disconnect outline on next keg during initial carbing phase.

:cheers:

FWIW, that was with a cobra tap so all it took was enough pressure to overcome the spring.

Jeebus, man, got my panties in a wad for nothing. :wink:

cheers

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com