Keg Weight

Does anyone know what an empty pin lock keg weighs? I want to weigh my keg to calculate how much beer is left but I need the tare weight.

Each one is going to be different. You would also need to know the weight you started with as each beer will weigh a little different.

I don’t have a scale that would give a reading on one.

If you take it out of the fridge, in couple minutes a condensation line will form at the liquid level.

1 Like

+1
FWIW an empty pinlock that I have on hand weighed in at 9.82lbs.

I would think that they would all be pretty similar?

I had the same thoughts. Similar enough to get an estimate of how much beer is in the keg. I know that alcohol weight is less than water so the ABV would change the actual weight but I don’t think I need to be that accurate to figure if there is 1/2 keg or 1/4 keg of beer left.

One of my ball-lock kegs weighs 9# 4 oz.

One of my 23" pin-locks weighs 10# 5 oz. They come in 22" and 23" tall versions.

empty keg is light, I can pick it up with one hand. A full keg, something like 40 or 50 pounds, can make me grunt and pant.

:shock: I need two hands AND a friend.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Each one is going to be different. You would also need to know the weight you started with as each beer will weigh a little different.

I don’t have a scale that would give a reading on one.

If you take it out of the fridge, in couple minutes a condensation line will form at the liquid level.[/quote]

Who needs to know the weight of an empty keg? :roll:

I took the measurements before to know the same thing. I have 9" dia x 22" (top of barrel) or 25" (top of handle) ball locks. An empty keg weighed 9 lbs, a full keg weighed 46.6 lbs. Say 53 beers per 5 gallon kit. 53 beers per 37.7 lbs. ~1.406 beers/lb.

So say your keg weighs 20 lbs. (20-9)*1.406 = 15.46 beers left… Better ready the next batch! :cheers:

Yes, this varies from beer to beer, keg to keg. But for the most part, this is based off FG, not OG & the FG is relatively in the same ballpark so shouldn’t fluctuate THAT much. I’ve only measured once so take my $.02 for what it’s worth.

[quote=“mubrewer”]I took the measurements before to know the same thing. I have 9" dia x 22" (top of barrel) or 25" (top of handle) ball locks. An empty keg weighed 9 lbs, a full keg weighed 46.6 lbs. Say 53 beers per 5 gallon kit. 53 beers per 37.7 lbs. ~1.406 beers/lb.

So say your keg weighs 20 lbs. (20-9)*1.406 = 15.46 beers left… Better ready the next batch! :cheers:

Yes, this varies from beer to beer, keg to keg. But for the most part, this is based off FG, not OG & the FG is relatively in the same ballpark so shouldn’t fluctuate THAT much. I’ve only measured once so take my $.02 for what it’s worth.[/quote]

I know my kegs are EXACTLY full because I followed the DIRECTIONS TO A “T”. :shock:

Why is everyone making this harder than it needs to be? Look for the condensation line. :roll:

[quote=“mubrewer”]I took the measurements before to know the same thing. I have 9" dia x 22" (top of barrel) or 25" (top of handle) ball locks. An empty keg weighed 9 lbs, a full keg weighed 46.6 lbs. Say 53 beers per 5 gallon kit. 53 beers per 37.7 lbs. ~1.406 beers/lb.

Yes, this varies from beer to beer, keg to keg. But for the most part, this is based off FG, not OG & the FG is relatively in the same ballpark so shouldn’t fluctuate THAT much. I’ve only measured once so take my $.02 for what it’s worth.[/quote]

This is exactly the math I was going to do but I needed to know the “-9” for the formula. I wanted to know if my keg was going to be ready soon for the next beer or if I needed to rack the beer out of the fermenter to a secondary to wait. Then I went to get a beer while I contemplated it and the tap blew all foam. There was my answer. I will keep this handy for the next keg.

I do like the condensation line trick except for having to move the keg in and out of the fridge. I could leave the kegs on a flat scale and would have an ongoing gage of beer volume. That might be getting overly geeky though. :slight_smile: