Keg for one gallon kits?

Being a newb… do I understand this correctly? If I use a keg system like the “Draft Brewer Cannonball” I would simply move the beer into the keg rather than bottling? Does this mean that you then pressurize the keg to achieve carbonation rather than conditioning in the bottle for several weeks? Would skipping that conditioning time not be a bad thing for most beers?

Thanks for any info on this!
Roy

[quote=“rhallva”]Being a newb… do I understand this correctly? If I use a keg system like the “Draft Brewer Cannonball” I would simply move the beer into the keg rather than bottling? Does this mean that you then pressurize the keg to achieve carbonation rather than conditioning in the bottle for several weeks? Would skipping that conditioning time not be a bad thing for most beers?

Thanks for any info on this!
Roy[/quote]

I think you prime it like it was a large bottle, but with less sugar, wait two weeks and serve.
You probably would be well advised to increase your batch size to closer to two gallons.
Tap-A-Draft is also a good option and the whole set up (3 six liter bottles, 3 caps, 6 CO2 cartridges, and the valve unit) is available for less than the $99 for the cannonball and I’m pretty sure qualifies for free shipping from MoreBeer ($74.99).

Absolutely yo can force carb with that setup. You can still gd the beer while its carbonating. Just because its carbed doesn’t mean you HAVE to drink it. :wink:

So I could skip the bottling process entirely with one of these small batch keg systems? I would ferment, them move it to the keg for conditioning? Is there a down side to this that I am not seeing?
I have no desire to wash, sterilize, and cap bottles if I don’t have to.

Once it is moved to the keg does it then need to remain under pressure from a C02 tank for the entire time from conditioning through drinking it all?

Thanks for any further clarification!

[quote=“rhallva”]So I could skip the bottling process entirely with one of these small batch keg systems? I would ferment, them move it to the keg for conditioning? Is there a down side to this that I am not seeing?
I have no desire to wash, sterilize, and cap bottles if I don’t have to.
to me the only downside is the room it takes up in fridge… but yes, when done fermenting rack to the keg, purge headspace of O2 by adding CO2, repeat a couple times, leave CO2 in headspace and age. When ready carb it up and drink.

Once it is moved to the keg does it then need to remain under pressure from a C02 tank for the entire time from conditioning through drinking it all?
nope. It only needs to be under CO2 when drinking. If not then as the headspace increases (from drinking it), CO2 will release from beer to fill that headspace and your beer will lose carbonation.
Thanks for any further clarification![/quote]