Just purchased the dead ringer extract, will I like it?

The recipe calls for 1 oz. Dryhop, I have another 3/4 oz kicking around. I am thinking about adding it.

So, I decided to make this beer kind of last minute, I had 3 kits on hand so I ended up making this one. It is delicious and definitely seems to be on the sweeter side with a little fruitiness. As I look back, it would appear that there is a very good chance that I used the Wyeast 1187 Ringwood yeast from a Porter kit instead of the 1056. It sounds like this, and a slightly higher ferment temp (75F) could account for the fruity. A few friends, though they really enjoyed it, mistook it for having a Belgian influence. Anyone have experience with the strain, could it do that? Also, because i did it last minute, I missed the part about the starter so it was underpitched. Also, VERY carbonated. I guess this is just kind of a brain dump, haha! Any thoughts?

I’m brewing the extract kit of Dead Ringer this weekend. Really looking forward to this one…

Not sure if this has been discussed in this thread yet… but instead of making a yeast starter would it be ok to just use two packs of dry yeast ?

No, If skipping a starter with liquid yeast you would need at least two pouches/vials of LIQUID yeast.
But with dry yeast you have more than enough cells for this beer in just one pack. So a pack of 11.5 gram US-05 is all you need and also dry yeast doesn’t require the cooled wort to have any amount of oxygen in it. So all around dry yeast is the way to go if you aren’t comfortable with starters or still learning basics etc…and can concentrate on the other processes like sanitation or more brewing!
Also you dont want to make a starter with dry as its detrimental to the reserves built in at production. So all around it is the most straightforward compared to liquid although liquid has the advantage of having many more to choose from but this beer is great with US-05.
If you haven’t seen the dry/liquid yeast pitching rate calculator. Here it is:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... Sg&cad=rja

I agree that using Dry yeast makes pitching alot easier. You will also have to agree that liquid yeast creates a more accurate and better tasting beer. You will get there, just be positive and stick with it.

I’m still by far a novice home brewer. I just ordered the Chinook IPA with the US-05 dry yest and I ordered the Dead ringer IPA with Liquid yeast. I can’t wait to try both to see the pro’s and con’s first hand. Man I love home brewing !! Thanks for the great Info

Brewed up a 5-gal batch of Dead Ringer yesterday - using a stir-plated yeast starter of the Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast.

I am SO GLAD I used a blowoff tube, because this morning it is undergoing the most active fermentation I’ve experienced so far - bubbling and gurgling like a banshee…

Hopefully this isn’t highjacking the thread, but… I recently bottled a batch of this Dead Ringer. I didn’t use a yeast starter, just one smack pack of the liquid 1056 and dry hopped in secondary for 7 days. This is only my 4th brew, so I am curious what I can look for or learn from this as potentially being under pitched?

Thanks!

I am still in the secondary stage, so I cannot help you with that. Underpitching can lead to uncomplete fermentation in some cases, but don’t worry too much about it. What was the O.G vs the F.G?

MaSheriff

That is a great question!! I nailed the OG, but didn’t get an FG reading. My hydrometer was lent out and I wanted to bottle on schedule with the dry hop. Should I suppose that reading would tell me my attenuation % ? (am I using that term correctly?) Then I could diagnose certain flavors based on what process may or may not have completed?

[quote=“RedSantos”]Hopefully this isn’t highjacking the thread, but… I recently bottled a batch of this Dead Ringer. I didn’t use a yeast starter, just one smack pack of the liquid 1056 and dry hopped in secondary for 7 days. This is only my 4th brew, so I am curious what I can look for or learn from this as potentially being under pitched?

Thanks![/quote]

Taken from Wyeast Website:

“Proper Pitch Rates:”

The term pitch rate refers to the amount of yeast that is added to cooled wort. Pitch rate is generally referred to in cells per milliliter. Consistent and reproducible fermentations are not possible without consistent and accurate pitch rates. Successful re-pitching depends upon an adequate pitch rate for a healthy fermentation. Under-pitching on the first brew will not only produce an aroma and flavor profile that is less than desirable, but will also lead to less consistency and fewer generations of use from that culture.

I bottled the dead ringer today, it fermented out to 6.4% abv. I will post back when I try a bottle.

Dry-hopped my batch today, and it’s clocking in at 7.09%!

Bottling next weekend…

hi all, first post here and i figure this may still be on topic. i’m on day 14 in primary of this kit and my fg is 1.020, og was on point at 1.064. should i be worried or just continue with racking to secondary? i used a 1L starter but i’m not too confident here.

I would either rack over to the secondary or let it sit at least 3 wks total for bottle. I always go at least 4wks ( 2wk primary, 2wk secondary) before I bottle. Hope this helps. Your not too far off, I gained 2 points between secondary and bottling.

MaSheriff

so did I read that a yeast starter is not necesarry when using a dry yeast?

Correct, some peope re-hydrate the yeast with warm water, but there are many posts on this if you do a quick search on this forum. For dry yeast you can just sprinkle it on top of aerated wort.

so i left it primary and just checked again (day 21) and its still at 1.020… i racked to secondary anyway. i’m assuming i didn’t aerate enough? not sure, hoping this won’t cause a problem when i bottle.

My dead ringers finish there too. I think you’re right on track.

:cheers: