Jamil's Vienna

I also looked for Vienna Lager in Vienna and there isnt any. A European brewer told me its called that due to the prevalence of Vienna malt and not because Vienna or Austria are known for that beer style. Makes sense given that the VMO style is Vienna, Marzen, Oktoberfest and many of those old syles had a lot off Vienna as well. They 200th Anniversary Oktoberfest was about 85% Vienna Malt.

I have had extremely good luck in a very large competition here in the metroplex with a Munich Dunkel recipe. What I’m doing is mixing light and dark Munich malt 50/50, adding a bit of Melonodin malt and a bit of Carafa II for color. Naturally I double decoct the whole thing and employee the usual lager routine. Water is untreated (but filtered) North Texas water which I would describe as medium hard. Seems like to me that German biers generally have pretty simple recipes, it’s all in the execution. I’m now trying to get a Dort Export to work; because that stuff is generally brewed with harder water back in der Fatherland I should be able to use the stuff I have. I will say though that testing is fun. :smiley: