Is this normal?

I wanted to start a new post to get more responses. Thx!

I just started my mead last night. The recipe I had said to mix the yeast and set it aside until mixture has cooled. I did that and added the Yeast nutrients. The thing is I set it aside for a few hours before I was able to mix it.

My concoction isn’t moving the air bubble thing. I opened the bucket this morning and it looks bubbly on top. Should I add more yeast? Or is this just normal.

I would hate to have wasted my money on all that honey.

:cheers:

I do have a package of random yeast ec something. If I added that would it help?

Have you brewed much beer?
I haven’t brewed that many meads, but none of them have been vigorous like a beer fermenting. Airlock activity or non activity isn’t the best indication of fermentation, especially in a bucket.
If it’s showing signs of activity you should give it more time. Check the gravity in a couple of weeks.

My mead is bouncing like crazy.

The instructions I was reading said don’t bottle it until it quits bubbling. I was thinking about leaving it in the carboy for a year ( racking it at 3 months and 6 months). Then bottling it.

I want to be safe though, dont want to ruin it.

IMO there is no need to rack it that many times. You are just wasting the mead that you leave behind.

I left a mead on the primary yeast for close to 2 years. NO off flavors.

Now days for most of my meads I rack at 1.025, at the completion of fermentation, and at 3 months or when cleared to bottle. Not much of a waste with that schedule. IME additional rackings may be necessary when doing melomels and cysers for clearing and to reduce prolonged exposure to settling fruit particles.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]IMO there is no need to rack it that many times. You are just wasting the mead that you leave behind.

I left a mead on the primary yeast for close to 2 years. NO off flavors.[/quote]

One of the early mead maker of the year winners (also a home brew shop owner) said to leave it a year on the yeast.

Can’t argue on this topic.

We can probably get away with loosing 12oz or so on a straight mead/beer/wine with multiple racking. But that 12oz!!!
:lol:

ETA: I like to limit the things I have to clean and sanitize. The fewer transfers the better.