Is this crushed grain?

Rookie Warning

My lovely wife just bought me the BIAB system for 5 gallon batches. Before this time I was brewing with extracts. Unfortunately, I had a poor outcome with the bavarian hefeweizen, yielding an OG of 1.008 with a taste of hoppy water and little to no sugar content. I’m not going to bother fermenting it. I am not sure what went wrong with this brew. I used the correct amount of water based on the calculator (9.5lbsx0.125+6.5gal=7.69gal), kept the temp at 152 for a 60 minute single infusion and ended up with slightly over 5 gallons after the boil. My previous brews with extracts occasionally came with some grains and they were much more flaky than the grain in this batch, but the bag said it was crushed so I didn’t question it until I had the poor outcome. I’m hoping the grain is the issue as I have no idea what I did wrong. This is what the grain looks like (after going through the mash and boil):

Does not looked crushed to me at all. Best thing next time buy a grain mill and grains. So you are in control of the crush of your grain. The grains once done crushing. Need to look. Coarse. If you run your hand true it. It leaves with crushed powder on your hand

That grain is not crushed. I would call them and let them know the package was miss marked. They should replace it

1 Like

Not crushed! I just got a Northern Brewer all grain kit that wasn’t crushed either. I was just about to post about it. So glad to have some validation. I’m a little pissed because I dumped it in my kettle before I noticed.
hey @admins some body is asleep at the mill.

2 Likes

I threw my bag in the garbage in disgust. Fortunately you can still make out the crush ID

Yup… not crushed…
Sneezles61

It happens. I once ordered a 50lb bag UNCRUSHED and it came crushed… they sent me a brand new one.

1 Like

Grain mills are not cheap but sure are nice to have. Well worth the investment if you plan to brew a decent amount of all grain batches. I like having it crushed fresh the same day as brewing also.

I’m not letting NB off of the hook for this. They F’ed up and you should complain.
If you have a rolling pin you can lay the grains out in a thin layer and crush them with the rolling pin.

1 Like

If you don’t have a rolling pin you can use a heavy bottle like a wine bottle. Don’t lean too hard on it of course. Neither is ideal but better than nothing.

1 Like

Are you suggesting drying them and crushing them to rebrew. I was thinking dry them and roast them to make crystal malt. Then use them with some fresh malt. Using lemons for lemonade if you will

1 Like

Thanks for the great chatter here. This grain does not look to be crushed. Please contact Customer Service at brewmaster@northernbrewer.com whenever there is trouble with an order. I hope it is not often, but we will make any mistake right as quickly as we can.
We will share this thread with our operations/grain room teams too. Thanks all, Todd J

7 Likes

Thanks for all the help everyone! I’ve contacted customer service and hope to hear back from them soon.

And they’ve already made things right. Awesome!

4 Likes

We DO have good host’…
Sneezles61

Yep top notch customer service! They’ll make it right!

1 Like

So my partially crushed batch was replaced today. Thanks for being amazing NB

2 Likes

So today I brewed the replacement recipe, properly crushed, and ended up 18 points higher in gravity following the exact same procedures. SO I will have a lighter and stronger version of the same thing. 2 different yeasts.

3 Likes

Good to hear you got resolved, when I received the whole ones I dried them before crushing them as many people here are referring

Drying… what? :neutral_face: IF you got wet barley… there is a bigger problem then…
Sneezles61