Is my cider done fermenting already!?!?!

I made a batch of cider using store bought apple juice, used wlp775 cider yeast, added 4lbs of sugar(i want a higher ABV), and some yeast nutrient. I pitched the yeast Monday night, didnt see any activity until early wednesday morning. However, it is now friday afternoon, and there is nothing going on with the airlock. Is it ready to put in a secondary carboy? Or should i let it sit for a while longer? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Were you able to take any hydrometer readings on it to see what your starting gravity and current gravity is?

What temperature is the fermenter and when did you last see activity?

It is quite possible it completed “primary” fermentation in a short period as mentioned. Although you want the cider, beer to reside on the main yeast cake for a few days to weeks after “primary” is completed.

The reason why is because no matter the condition’s during ferment yeast produce by products such as acetaldehyde, diacetyl and a host of other VDK that will be reabsorbed by the yeast after “primary”. So the general rule of thumb is to leave on the cake at least a week before transferring to a secondary for clearing.

I’m having the same issue. No activity like what you see during fermentation. I just have a light brown resin at the top of the cider. Not sure what is happening. I got Non Pasterized Cider used camden tablets, Nutrient, Pectic Enzyme, 2lbs. Brown Sugar, yeast is WLP775. Ferment temp: 68. We’ll have to see…??? :roll:

If you are looking for a 2-3" krausen like you see with beer, you will not get it.

Nighthawk did I over do the camden tablets? I put in 1 tablet per gallon, and I had 4 gallons. Did I suppress my yeast?

1 tablet per gallon seem to be mentioned in several locations.

The meads and cider I have made “might” have had a 1/2" krausen on them. I did not use camden in my cider. I let it naturally ferment.

Meads and ciders do not have the proteins in them like wort does to product the large krausens.

Nighthawk and others: Cider is fermenting!!! :stuck_out_tongue:
It took awhile but it is FERMENTING!!! I thought I screwed it up.
Took about 3 Days to see it bubble and swirl. Keep y’all posted.

RTX

Thx Nighthawk.

Will fermented cider taste different than fermented apple juice?

Juice pressed from apples and unaltered is called cider first and foremost.
“Apple juice” bought at the store is typically when it has water/ sugars other preservatives or even other fruit juices added.

The main answer is quite simple buy a jug of fresh cider and a jug of “apple juice” do they taste the same? Of course not, they are night and day different. Thus the fermented product will be exactly the same.

When making cider, you use straight press and/ or add a small amount of sugar/s to increase specific gravity slightly. Straight cider will produce a “fermented cider” of about 3.8-4.5% ABV this is why people add a small amount of sugar/s to increase ABV.

The only other “fermented” products made with cider is Applewine and cider/mead(cyser)
Edit* Actually we cannot forget the distilled products:
a. Applejack
b. Apple brandy/ Apple distillate.
C. Most famous apple brandy of them all: Calvados

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvados_%28brandy%29

The only differences here are Applewine is simply a cider but with a ABV that has been boosted to around 9-13% instead of the typical 4-6% of cider.

Cyser is simply a cider made with an addition of honey instead of simple sugars or blended with a mead.

Juice pressed from apples and unaltered is called cider first and foremost.
“Apple juice” bought at the store is typically when it has water/ sugars other preservatives or even other fruit juices added.

The main answer is quite simple buy a jug of fresh cider and a jug of “apple juice” do they taste the same? Of course not, they are night and day different. Thus the fermented product will be exactly the same.

When making cider, you use straight press and/ or add a small amount of sugar/s to increase specific gravity slightly. Straight cider will produce a “fermented cider” of about 3.8-4.5% ABV this is why people add a small amount of sugar/s to increase ABV.

The only other “fermented” products made with cider is Applewine and cider/mead(cyser)
Edit* Actually we cannot forget the distilled products:
a. Applejack
b. Apple brandy/ Apple distillate.
C. Most famous apple brandy of them all: Calvados

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvados_%28brandy%29

The only differences here are Applewine is simply a cider but with a ABV that has been boosted to around 9-13% instead of the typical 4-6% of cider.

Cyser is simply a cider made with an addition of honey instead of simple sugars or blended with a mead.[/quote]
Don’t forget Graf- described in Steven King’s Gunslinger series as “Strong Apple Beer”. Basically a beer/cider hybrid.

You and your gunslinger cranberry graf, get lost hoser! ( I kid…See my avatar for explanation!)
Had to channel the great white north for a min!

But yes your correct, I thought about many making the blend recently but forgot if there was an “official” name for the combo, good looking out.