Is bottled sediment bad?

I noticed that the instructions that come with starter kits mention not pouring the sediment from bottle into the glass before drinking.

I’m pretty sure I’ve had unfiltered beer before, is this different? Why are we supposed to leave the sediment behind? Just a flavor thing or does it actually carry a health concern?

Very new to this so I’m trying to understand everything.

If you bottle condition, that’s a tiny little yeast cake in the bottom of each bottle.

Right, why are we advised to avoid drinking it?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not craving sediment, just want to know.

Give it some time in the fridge once carbonation is complete. This will help compact the yeast,. Then gently poor your beer into a glass but leave 1 centimeter to half an inch of beer In the bottle.

We avoid drinking it because it will make your beer hazy in the glass. Also yeast are a little bitter. On the plus side, they are full if vitamin B-12. Drinking it won’t harm you, maybe give you some gas, but it will just change the character of the beer if it gets into your pint glass

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]Give it some time in the fridge once carbonation is complete. This will help compact the yeast,. Then gently poor your beer into a glass but leave 1 centimeter to half an inch of beer In the bottle.

We avoid drinking it because it will make your beer hazy in the glass. Also yeast are a little bitter. On the plus side, they are full if vitamin B-12. Drinking it won’t harm you, maybe give you some gass, but it will just change the character of the beer if it gets into your pint glass[/quote]

Got it, thanks! :smiley:

If your GI system isn’t accustomed to consuming that much yeast, it will let you know the next day. You, and everyone else in the room with you. :mrgreen:

Plus, it generally tends to make your well-crafted beer taste a little muddy. Most beer styles taste better without the extra yeast in them.

It’s a good source of all the other B vitamins, but the only organisms which produce B12 are bacteria.

(Nutritional yeast does contain B12, but that’s because it’s been fortified.)

It’s a good source of all the other B vitamins, but the only organisms which produce B12 are bacteria.

(Nutritional yeast does contain B12, but that’s because it’s been fortified.)[/quote]

Whoops. Shows how much I know my vitamins, haha.

This forum teaches me something every day :cheers:

In Germany the bar tenders swirl the last few ounces of bottle conditioned weizen (wheat beer) before finishing the pour to get all that yeasty goodness into the beer. This style really benefits from that coudy, bready, banana peel character that Bavarian yeast provides. The style is also best enjoyed fresh so the ones you get in the store here really fall short. Ein bier bitte!

Thanks for all the great info guys :slight_smile:

I went through about a 12-pack worth of feeling rather disappointed by the batch of NB’s honey weizen I made a couple months ago before it occurred to me to try doing that. It really wants the sediment!

It’s the saying “Mit Hefe” - which means with yeast; German wheat beers sometimes come as “Krystal Weizen”, which means clear wheat beer, in which case the yeast is dropped out or filtered.

I swish the slurry around at the bottom of the bottle and drink it down. I then use the subsequent gas as a weapon at work. :lol: