IRS W-9 form for a comp? What?

Have seen this listed on a couple entry requirements for State Fair comps. I guess its a necessity due to cash prizes being awarded. But, to me its not worth the bother. :roll:

How big are the prizes?

One of them was only $50 for BOS.

The amount seems pretty immaterial. Is an accountant running the comp?

Any kind of cash prizes really should be taxed since it is income. However, they shouldn’t have sent one if the total for the year was less than $600.

They might have done it for less to keep it straight on their end.

[quote=“threeabuck”]Any kind of cash prizes really should be taxed since it is income. However, they shouldn’t have sent one if the total for the year was less than $600.

They might have done it for less to keep it straight on their end.[/quote]
I believe that Baratone meant the comp required a w-9 from all entrants entering the competition. A W-9 in this case would consist of an entrants name, address, DOB,& SSN. Everything you need to steal some ones identity.

The form you are speaking of is a I-9, which any corporation who pays out more then $600 to a single person is required to give to you for tax purposes.

Anyways, I would never give a W-9 to enter a competition, why would they need my SSN to taste my beer. It seems excessive and a compitition that is likely to fail, or remain extremely small in the long term.

[quote=“gregscsu”]
I believe that Baratone meant the comp required a w-9 from all entrants entering the competition. A W-9 in this case would consist of an entrants name, address, DOB,& SSN. Everything you need to steal some ones identity.[/quote]
Exactly. These comps require a W-9 to be submited from everyone entering when you submit payment for your entries.

Nor will I. Excessive sums it up well.

I was definitely confused-the word competition never occurred to me to be what the op meant by “comps.” I was thinking…something about employee “prizes” - I don’t even know.

Maybe you could ask them to fill one out only after you win the grand prize, and then if it’s over $600.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]These comps require a W-9 to be submited from everyone entering when you submit payment for your entries.[/quote]I would just put a fake SS number on the form. :wink:

My obsessive compulsive tendencies require me to point out that the I-9 is the form verifying legal right to work in USA. I think you meant the 1099 form.

+1 on all the other comments about the excessiveness of the requirements in the original post.

Just leave the SSN off when you submit the form, they will contact you if you win to complete it. If you do win and still don’t want to give it up, you just won’t get your cash prize. Gotta love State run (or overseen) competitions. Especially when many who award cash prizes are in direct violation of their own state laws. :roll:

YMMV

[quote=“VictorWI”][quote=“Shadetree”]I would just put a fake SS number on the form.[/quote]Just leave the SSN off when you submit the form, they will contact you if you win to complete it. If you do win and still don’t want to give it up, you just won’t get your cash prize.[/quote]My way allows you to both get the prize and to not give out your number!

non profit clubs probably just keeping there records straight?