IPA is dark

So, I brewed an extract IPA yesterday, supposed to be a Two Hearted clone. My concern is that it looks pretty dark in the carboy, almost black. I did a partial boil, 2.5 gal, 6.6 lbs muntons golden light LME (added at 30 min), and 2.5 lbs DME. I understand that extracts come out a little darker but I didn’t expect it to be this dark. I should say it looked fine when I checked the OG, so maybe I’m worried about nothing. Thoughts?

It is always darker in the carboy. A lot more wart for the light to pass thru.

And Extract brews are generally darker than all grain. Later additions of extracts can help prevent it of becoming as dark.

You won’t get a real idea of the color until it’s in the glass. More beer looks darker.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been extract brewing for about 3 years but for one reason or another this is my first IPA. Kinda freaked me out when I saw it.

When I was brewing partial boil extract clones my IPA’s / Pale ales would always look darker than I wanted even in the glass. I switched to full volume boil extract and noticed a huge color difference but switching to All Grain has giving me full control over that aspect. Cheers!

Right.
But also remember that a proper IPA shouldn’t be too pale anyway; the best ones I’ve had (as well as the most traditional) were always deep amber or copper colored in the glass.

[quote=“The Professor”]
Right.
But also remember that a proper IPA shouldn’t be too pale anyway; the best ones I’ve had (as well as the most traditional) were always deep amber or copper colored in the glass.[/quote]

Very good point. Remember that the style is pale by the standards of British ales at the time the now-standard Pale Ale was named. It was a dark time for beer, chromatically anyway.

Liquid malt extract also darkens a lot with age. The extract might be really old, which could also create an inferior beer. I would give some consideration as to the source of your extract.