Interuption in the boil on the first Hop addition

I am brewing the Chinook IPA extract kit. Fifteen minutes into the first Hop addition I ran out of Propane. It took me about 30 minutes to make a run to get more Propane and then about 5 minutes to bring the wort back to a boil. Any input on how this might effect the beer?

Probably a little more bitterness. Add a little more dry hops. You’ll be alright.

3 Likes

I have two more hop additions anyway. One at 10 minutes and another at 1 minute left in the boil. Also has a Hop addition in the Secondary.

I gave the wort a taste as I got the it back to a boil. Noticed a bitter note which will be fine with me.

It’ll be beer for sure! :sunglasses: I’m with the Cat thinking you have an interesting little hop pause in the middle of the boil. It sucks to run out of gas. Maybe call it Brewus Intteruptus? I tend to go off the deep end about stuff like that so have a bunch of extra propane tanks. Probably on some gubment watch list. Let us know how this turns out! You might be onto something… Happy Brewing!

1 Like

It’ll be fine and probably not make a difference.

I doubt you will notice any difference. I have had tanks run out during all stages of brewing and never had a problem. Like CO2 it’s handy to have a spare tank if you have the resources and space.

You can even borrow the tank from your BBQ to finish up brewing.

1 Like

Now after you got it to boil again did you restart your timer which is what I thought you did which would end up with a 90 minutes hop additions. When I’ve ran out of fuel I don’t change my clock so the bitterness doesn’t change. It takes a long time for the wort to cool down. So which did you do?

Picked up the time where it left off. Total 60 minute boil. We’ll see how it turns out. It’s happily bubbling away in the Primary fermenter right now. I’ll know in a few weeks.

Thanks for everyone’s input. I’ll have to update this string in a few weeks.

2 Likes

Checked the SG after a weeks fermentation and gave the wort/beer a taste. Tastes great so far. Some Bitter notes but about normal for an IPA. Maybe a little more Citrus aroma and flavor than I was expecting. I will check the SG again in a couple days to see if it’s ready to go into the Secondary.

1 Like