Insulating Steel Mashtun

Does anyone have a megapot 1.2 10gal mashtun? I’m looking for ways to insulate it to keep my mash temp stable. Used it for the first time yesterday a d it would only hold temps for about 15min. Very much a pain in the ass. Is holding the temp important? I heated my strike water to 163. Added grains, it dipped to 152 where I wanted it. But after 15min it dropped to 149, and I had to reheat it 3x. Huge pain as I have 1 burner and was heating my sparge water.

I’ll add I am in Florida and it was 71degrees out

Holding an exact constant isn’t necessary… Start out a little higher mash temp… I think some of the mashers around here may wrap a sleeping bag around it… How about that thermal bubble wrap? Many ideas… Sneezles61

1 Like

I came across one that looked like they velcro’d some reflective bubble wrap on their kettle…may try that approach. Sleeping bag sounds like a good idea

That was me and it works perfectly

Was it 3m velcro tape you used? Can I direct fire if I only cover the top 2/3 of kettle? I may do both my hlt and mash tun. Uploading…

I BIAB so there is never a need to fire up the kettle once it has reached mash temperatures.

1 Like

I wrap my Megapots in a couple comforters here in Michigan and bungee ‘em. Sometimes on the burner (NO FLAME!) or on a bench. Might lose a degree or two but generally hold very well. There’s lots of mass in the bottom of those pots so if you can insulate that you can hold even better.

2 Likes

Probably don’t need any i