Instructions for Stout didn't say to make a starter

Sigh. I went back to pick out my next beer and realized that the Big Honkin’ Stout requires a starter.

It doesn’t say ANYWHERE on here to make a starter.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documenta ... nStout.pdf

I have already racked to the secondary. I guess we’ll just see how it turns out.

did you use Safale-05? or the liquid northwest ale yeast?

liquid yeasts almost always need a starter. dry Safale-05 yeast does not

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]did you use Safale-05? or the liquid northwest ale yeast?

liquid yeasts almost always need a starter. dry Safale-05 yeast does not[/quote]

Liquid WYEAST

Again, it would ideal for their instructions to include this significant piece of information. How is this place about refunds? Is that a bitch move?

What was your OG? What is your gravity now? How did ferment go if you are ready to go to secondary? What was your ferment temp?

Typically NB is very easy with returns / exchanges. Not to be a debbie downer, but if you look at the product info page it list both 2-stage fermentation and yeast starter.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/big- ... t-kit.html

I would get to know and love Mr. Malty’s pitching calculator

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

According to the calc 5 gallons of 1.068 would require 2.4 packages without starter.

[quote=“themack22”]
Again, it would ideal for their instructions to include this significant piece of information. How is this place about refunds? Is that a bitch move?[/quote]

you can email Northern brewer if you like. But i think your beer should be fine. did you take a gravity reading before you put it into the secondary?

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]did you take a gravity reading before you put it into the secondary?[/quote]Step 16 in the instructions says to take one…

[quote=“dsidab81”]Typically NB is very easy with returns / exchanges. Not to be a debbie downer, but if you look at the product info page it list both 2-stage fermentation and yeast starter.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/big- ... t-kit.html

I would get to know and love Mr. Malty’s pitching calculator

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

According to the calc 5 gallons of 1.068 would require 2.4 packages without starter.[/quote]

Yeah, it does say it on the product page, but I guess when I was brewing, I was looking at the instructions that were mailed with it. It never crossed my mind to cross-check it with the product page. More than likely I saw that it required a starter when I bought it, but did not know what a yeast starter was until last week, two weeks after we brewed.

And I don’t really care about the $$$…just a little irked that I am just now realizing we missed a crucial step because we are noobs.

As far as OG and FG, well, this might get me laughed right off the forum, but we didn’t take gravity readings. Hydrometer is broken.

Were you at least able to determine that fermentation was taking place? Or is your airlock broken too? What temperature did you ferment at?

[quote=“themack22”]

And I don’t really care about the $$$…just a little irked that I am just now realizing we missed a crucial step because we are noobs.

As far as OG and FG, well, this might get me laughed right off the forum, but we didn’t take gravity readings. Hydrometer is broken.[/quote]

that is unfortunate, I strongly recommend getting another hydrometer before bottling (to avoid bursting bottles). but because it is an extract beer, you know your OG was 1.068 (if you ended with 5 gals). how long did you leave it in primary? when i first started i did the same thing, used 1 packet of wyeast for whatever i was making. my beers were OK, some better than others. you will see an improvement in your beers if you pitch the proper amount of yeast cells next time.

but you’ll never know till you taste it. it could turn out great. but a hydrometer reading would be very beneficial to know, for safety sake.

I fermented at 65 degrees. The airlock bubbled and there was A LOT of activity in the carboy. Krausen, churning, the whole 9 yards. After the action was over, I racked. Action went on for about 6-7 days and racked around the 9th day.

I tasted it when I racked into the secondary and I was tempted to pour an entire glass and start drinking away. It tasted like a stout. It’s our 5th beer and the 1st one to actually taste like what we were brewing.

Our Pale Ales were sweet, too carbonated. Our Oatmeal stout tasted like a Newcastle, etc.

This one tasted like a Big Honkin’ Stout!

Don’t sweat it. I went almost 4 yrs making extracts and never made a starter…always using wyeast. Never had any issues with complete fermentation.

cheers.

[quote=“themack22”][quote=“S.Scoggin”]did you use Safale-05? or the liquid northwest ale yeast?

liquid yeasts almost always need a starter. dry Safale-05 yeast does not[/quote]

Liquid WYEAST

Again, it would ideal for their instructions to include this significant piece of information. How is this place about refunds? Is that a bitch move?[/quote]

Yes I would say that is a bitch move lol but I understand your frustration. I only say that because youre beer is going to turn out fine. Yes you underpitched, but you’ll be ok. At worst its a little sweet, and you learned a good solid lesson about pitching rates. Always make starters unless your beer is a low OG beer(under 1.050)

[quote=“Adam20”]
I only say that because youre beer is going to turn out fine. Yes you underpitched, but you’ll be ok. At worst its a little sweet, and you learned a good solid lesson about pitching rates. Always make starters unless your beer is a low OG beer(under 1.050)[/quote]

+1, im sure it will be fine. and you already said it tasted great. happy brewin :cheers:

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]
+1, im sure it will be fine. and you already said it tasted great. happy brewin :cheers: [/quote]

:cheers:

Thanks folks!

I’ll save my bitch moves for AT&T and Verizon.

Also keep reading the posts and questions on this forum. HUGE help to all new brewers on here.

Yeah go bitch at AT&T you got your yeast it fermented what’s the problem?

Next time use US-05 for your ales and stouts and porters. Dump the dry yeast directly on top of the wort like Safeale recommends ON THE PACKAGE. Use two packs for a big beer if it makes you sleep better.