Instant coffee instead of cold brew in stout

I’ve read a ton about cold brew in stouts for that little extra awesomeness. My question is has anyone tried instant coffee and if so what were your results?
Thank you in advance

Can’t say I have tried instant but it seems like it would work since it is coffee. I would try a small amount in a pint to try it then when you are happy with the taste ramp it up to enough for the whole batch. Let us know how it works out however you decide to do it.

1 Like

ivenot had instant coffee in a long time but i remember it tasting like crap Probably tase better using a tasty coffee. grind up fresh coffee and steep it in the cold finished beer. Dont put in the boil or the fermenter

1 Like

I like the steeping idea. Thumbs up

yeah basically doing cold brew just using your stout as the liquid. Do like Mark says when the beer is done pull a sample and add a few grams of coffee and steep overnight to get the flavor you want then scale it up.Grind it coarse and put it in a paint strainer bag.

1 Like

It just so easy to make a good cup of coffee. If you don’t care or cannot taste the quality coffee aspect then it doesn’t really matter. As long as you like it. I learned more about what I like about coffee from trying to incorporate it in my beer then I did in the previous 30 years of drinking whatever coffee was available,

1 Like

We’ve kept instant around for hurricanes…does indeed taste like crap. But it’s just fine with a Coleman stove when its the only game in town!

My uncle made coffee on his Coleman stove outside every weekend in the summer. Along with a Piels longneck.

1 Like

actually you can make great camp coffee without instant using a french press or pour over not quite sure what the benefit is for instant except no grounds to dispose of.

1 Like

Have to look in to the pour over method. When we get knocked back to the stone age…no running water, filling the toilet tank from pool water, no electricity, not a lot of time for planning for creature comforts.

That’s my preferred every day now that im retired