Imperial stout recipes?

I’ve been searching for RIS recipes and haven’t found much. I really like Surly Darkness and Leinie’s Big Eddy. I have a decent recipe for a clone to Founder’s Old Rasputin is good but I want something a bit bigger and richer.

Can anyone suggest a recipe or where to look for a proven recipe ?

thanks

i’ve made jamils ris a couple times its pretty good. i’ve got some bottles left over from 09 and they just keep getting better with age.

Never had it,but sounds like its a good one.

OFFICIAL Kate the Great Russian Imperial Stout Clone

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP001 or Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.104
Final Gravity: 1.028
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 weeks @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5-6 months
Tasting Notes: Have not brewed this yet, but the reputation speaks for itself.

Here’s what Todd Mott, Head Brewer, from The Portsmouth Brewery sent me:

" I will give you #s for a full mash and a partial mash, since it is pretty much impossible to brew Kate with an all extract recipe.

When we brew a batch of Kate we use 77% Pale malt, 2% Crystal 45, 1% Caramel 120, 1% Chocolate malt,1% Black malt, 3% Carafa DH# 3 (Weyerman),3.5% Wheat malt 3.5% Flaked Barley, 2% Roasted malt,3.5% Special B, 2.5% Aromatic. We dough in at 166 to stabilize the mash at 149 degrees F. Saccrification rest for 45 min. or until conversion occurs. Vorlauff (recirculate) 'til clarified and run off. Collect about 1/3rd of your wort and sparge to collect 6.5 gals (for a 5 gal. yield) at 26 degrees Plato or 1.104 degrees Specific Gravity. Yea it’s big… but we like it like that!! (So you are going to need to use your mash tun efficiency to figure out how many pounds of malt you are going to need in total. But to tell you the truth when you get to this thick of a mash your efficiency is going to drop 3-4%).

Boil the wort for 5 mins. for the hot break and then add your bittering hops for 75 mins. We bitter at 38 IBUs with Magnum, 10 IBUs with Styrian Golding and 15 IBUs with Perle. This is the bittering addition. We add a flavor addition for 15 mins with Centennial for 2 IBUS. Our final addition of Palisade, Styrian Golding and Willamette account for about 3 more IBUs at whirlpool. Cool wort and pitch a good amount of White labs WLP 001 or Wyeast 1056 and ferment til it is done. Put into conditioning for about 5 or 6 months and you’ll have an amazing imperial stout.

Now, if you brew a partial mash, use 9#s Pale malt extract and 2# amber malt extract. Add to your brewing liquor and bring to 150 degrees. Add your specialty grains that have been lightly crushed. Add the crushed grains into a muslin sack consisting of 1# 45 Crystal malt,1/2# 120 caramel malt,1/4# chocolate malt,1/4# black malt,1/2# carafa malt,1.25#s wheat malt,1.5#s flaked barley, 1/2# roasted barley,1/2# special B and 1/2# aromatic. Steep the specialties in the 150 degree liquor for 45 mins. Remove the sack from your kettle and let the gains drip dry over the kettle as you bring the brewing liquor to a boil. Then add your Malt Extract (off the flame of course so not to scorch it), 18-20#'s of it should give you enough fermentables. Once you hit a boil add the hops as above and cool and ferment as above.

Good luck. Hope this helps Cheers! Tod Mott"

If you are not familiar with this beer, it is Portsmouth’s most popular and currently brewed only once a year to fill 10 barrels - half goes on tap, half fills 900 bottles. It is definitely amongst the “celebrity” beers out there, and near impossible to get. Enjoy the recipe and hopefully we’ll have a few successful clones to talk about later this year.

Here is a recipe I made up last year to brew with my two sisters while they were in town visiting. Without a doubt, this is the best RIS I have ever made. Recipe is for 18 gallons so please scale accordingly. If you have ever had Bell’s Batch 9000, this is as close as you can get. It is 1 year old now and it is really really good.

Muller, looks good. I made your Bells THA clone once, liked that one. I’ve had Bell’s batch 9000 but don’t recall the flavor. I may give this one a go. I’ve been considering making Bill Pierce’s Rootin Tootin Rasputin but scaling it up to 1.088 to 1.100+.

[quote=“bwmac2”]Muller, looks good. I made your Bells THA clone once, liked that one. I’ve had Bell’s batch 9000 but don’t recall the flavor. I may give this one a go. I’ve been considering making Bill Pierce’s Rootin Tootin Rasputin but scaling it up to 1.088 to 1.100+.[/quote][quote=“Bellsbeer.com”] Batch 9000 Ale offers up aromas ranging from the sweet caramel & molasses of dark rum to fruits such as raisins and plums. Brewed with the idea of pushing boundaries in mind, Batch 9000 Ale is a unique, one-time-only recipe. Well suited for vintage aging, this limited release will continue to develop in flavor & complexity over the years.
Alcohol by Volume: 12.5%
Original Gravity: 1.116
Shelf Life: Unlimited
Dates Available: Special Release
Available Packages: Bottle and draft[/quote]One of the top ten in my book for sure.

[quote=“shredd3r”]Never had it,but sounds like its a good one.

OFFICIAL Kate the Great Russian Imperial Stout Clone… [/quote]
Once voted the best beer in America and the second best beer in the world by Beer Advocate, which is probably a little silly, but Tod Mott is one our great brewers and very generous to homebrewers. I’ve been drinking his beers for about 25 years and he still manages to surprise me, now and then.

Recipe for KATE looks like another good suggestion. Thanks.

this is the stout i made last year and enjoyed very much. tweaked it a little for this year. brewing it February

Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: My Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.55 %
17 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 77.27 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.68 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.41 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.27 %

1.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (90 min) Hops 55.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (40 min) Hops 10.9 IBU

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale (starter)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.100 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.09 %
Bitterness: 66.8 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 45.1 SRM