Imperial stout blowoff. Edit - It just exploded

Hello all,
I’m a Noob. and I’m on my 2nd beer brewing adventure.
I’m also having a serious blow off situation right now with a Imperial IPA.
I was wondering? - If it looks like my little better bottle blow off tube is going to get clogged, (which It is.) Can I remove it and Clean and Sanitize it and put it back on? My yeast starter is going crazy.

Of course. Rinse off the crud in the blowoff tube and/or airlock under your kitchen faucet, sanitize it, replace it on your fermenter. If it is a wide enough blowoff tube directly attached to the fermenter, it is unlikely to get clogged.

Thank you sir.
like i say it is one of these:

…and it’s not getting the job done. thanks again.

You’re welcome. the co2 released will keep the beer safe while you’re cleaning the stopper and tubing, or you could put a piece of clean aluminum foil over the carboy opening until you replace the blowoff setup.

OMG!.. :shock:

This whole thread just made my day. Totally!!!

Now I know if I ever get around to doing a beer like this to make sure the fermenter goes into a box built out of wood or something.

:cheers:

This beer placed 2nd in the NY NHC prelims and it’s off to the finals! I think it honestly feels bad for trying to kill me :slight_smile:

[quote=“CapnJB”]This beer placed 2nd in the NY NHC prelims and it’s off to the finals! I think it honestly feels bad for trying to kill me :slight_smile:

:cheers: [/quote]

That which doesn’t kill us makes us stronger… LOL This thread is still full of awesomeness! I had an airlock explode off the top of my carboy and litter the ceiling with krausen, but nothing of your proportions. Good luck in the finals!!!

This thread upsets me.

Right now the best fermenting temperature to be found in the house is in my bedroom closet.

[quote=“bunderbunder”]This thread upsets me.

Right now the best fermenting temperature to be found in the house is in my bedroom closet.[/quote]

Yeah, I have to use a chest freezer with a temperature controller even for ales here in Florida. It’s so damned hot that to get my house below 75 with air conditioning costs a fortune. You know it’s bad when you have to use a blow off tube on a session beer!