Imperial stout blowoff. Edit - It just exploded

[quote=“CapnJB”]Welcome Barney, and yes, it’s good to have a supportive wife :slight_smile:

FWIW I got curious and took a gravity reading today. In six days it’s dropped from 1.098 to 1.024. Not too shabby :slight_smile: [/quote]
Thanks! I am going to learn a lot here.

[quote=“cam0083”]At least this wasn’t you…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugfubaws ... re=related[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. :lol: Got a good laugh to start my day.

[quote=“Jonny”]Wow. I’m officially having nightmares. Here is the Black IPA I just brewed about 36hrs ago. I got lucky, listened to my instincts and went with the blowout tube right away as its an old school carboy and I pitched two bags of Wyeast 1272 instead of making a starter.

My question (not to steal the thread): This being my first blowout, do I let it roll or do I attempt to clean out my tube ASAP?

(EDIT: The foam in the pot is from the star san).[/quote]

Let it ride. You can switch out the blowoff for an airlock once the krausen has receded. I normally just leave the blowoff throughout the whole process unless I need it for another beer.

The big diameter blowoff tube is the way to go, unlikely it will get clogged. The skinny stuff, well, the photos speak for themselves.

You all have me worried now, I have 6gal of lambic in a 7gal pail right now with just an airlock and its not sitting in secondary containment.

I was doing fine until I switched out airlocks (and forgot to cut the bottom off) :lol:

Reminds me of the time my airlock blew off in the middle of the night. Blackberry stout all over the nice, white, stucco, kitchen ceiling. Luckily it was a rental!
:cheers:

IPA on the basement ceiling:

wish the pictures of your fermenting beer were in a water bath. to me it screams really high fermentation temperatures, without knowing the room temperature.

Remember the beer will ferment 3-5F above room temperature at PEAK fermentation without additional cooling.

Would like to know how this beer turns out!

~Adam

[quote=“AOD”]wish the pictures of your fermenting beer were in a water bath. to me it screams really high fermentation temperatures, without knowing the room temperature.
[/quote]

It bounced around between 62-66 (66 during the crazy fermentation). I didn’t think dropping it a few more degrees would be worth the bother of setting up a swamp cooler. Hope I was right! :slight_smile:

It is ALWAYS worth the bother to keep ferment temps on the low side of the range, especially at the beginning through peak fermentation activitity.

I’ve got a crazy blowoff going right now with a barleywine. Pitched it on a yeast cake and the water bucket for the blowoff tube was brown and yeasty by the time I woke up the next morning. It was pushing 65-66* before I added some more cold water to the swamp cooler.

I’m not disagreeing, but when my basement has been keeping my beers at 60-64 all winter it seemed pointless to set up a swamp cooler and swap frozen bottles in and out to keep it pretty much at that same temp.

Well… a year later and I’ve finally forgiven this beer for trying to kill me :slight_smile: It’s won two awards including a 3rd place BOS. I’ve got about a six pack left and I’m not sure if I want to drink it, save it or enter it into the NHC.

Either way I’ve learned a lot from this beer and thankfully I can still see :cheers:

Friend of mine used US-05 and Nottingham. He lost about a gallon, even with a good blow off tube and cooler fermentation temps. Damned if it wasn’t the best RIS I’ve ever tasted.

Going to brew one next fall with that yeast. Will proceed with caution. Probably add one pack and wait 2-3 days for the 2nd packet.

Recommend wrapping plastic around it, like a painter would a car.

:slight_smile:

[quote=“s2y”]Friend of mine used US-05 and Nottingham. He lost about a gallon, even with a good blow off tube and cooler fermentation temps. Damned if it wasn’t the best RIS I’ve ever tasted.

Going to brew one next fall with that yeast. Will proceed with caution. Probably add one pack and wait 2-3 days for the 2nd packet.[/quote]

Looking back at my notes I used Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale in a 2L starter that I decanted and pitched into another 2L starter… all the while sitting on a commercial stir plate. My yeast count was up there and boy were they aggressive :cheers:

[quote=“DUNNGOOD”]I use Fermcap and have had no blow-offs. A big blow-off looses a lot of good yeast plus some of the foam positive proteins that help with good foam retention.
Also try to ferment cooler. I also would like to see them make a 6 1/2 Better Bottle.[/quote]

+1 to this. I also use Fermcap.

I just had a session-strength oatmeal stout explode, using 1945 at 60 degree beer temp, with fermcap, in a 6 gallon carboy. It was a 10 gallon batch, split between two identical fermenters, identical pitches, identical temperatures, but one exploded and one had 1/2 inch krausen. Obviously, something wasn’t identical.

I’ve had the best luck lightly stirring in the Fermcap and using fat drops at the recommended 2 drops per gallon rate. And no matter what, with big beers and explosive yeasts, the bigger aperture on your blowoff tube the better. I still use a blowoff tube as well as Fermcap.

I’ve only ever had one or two mild blowoffs, and none since I started using Fermcap. Works for me.