Imperial IPA Recipe For Review

Hey guys I could use some of your expertise here. This is my first self made recipe so any feedback would be great. Its 100% extract as well simply because we havent invested (however we will soon) in getting to the point of doing grain recipes. Anyway I am shooting for a super hoppy ipa. I would like it to be in the 7-8% alc range and 100-120 ibu’s. I also would like it to have a caramel malty type backbone but still have a punch you in the face ipa smell and taste. I understand on paper thats fine and in practice its probably impossible but thats the only way i could figure out how to explain it. So let the nit picking begin :cheers:

Fermentables:

9.9 Liquid LME
1.5 lbs Belgian Caravienne
.5 lbs am crystal 40L
.5 lbs am crystal 60L
.25 lbs am crystal 80L
.25 lbs am 2 row pale

Hops:

1oz Simcoe
1oz Warrior
.5oz Columbus
2oz Cascade
2oz Amarillo
2oz Citra
2oz whole Cascade
1.5oz whole Columbus

Hop Schedule:

1oz Simcoe 60min
1oz Warrior 45min
.5oz Columbus 20 min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 15min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 10min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 5min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 1min
2oz whole cascade and 1.5oz whole Columbus Dry hop during secondary

Yeast:

WLP001

I would move the 45-minute addition either earlier or later in the boil. Switch to pellets for the dryhop to not lose so much wort (use them in the boil and add a little more water and extract to account for the losses in the kettle and get a full fermenter). Use WLP007 instead of 001 - it’s a monster attenuator and will do a better job chewing through all the extract. You could also sub a lb of sugar for some extract to help dry it out.

FAR too much crystal malt. I know you want a big malty beer, but using extract is going to leave some residual sugars compared to an all-grain recipe anyway. I never use more than 2 lb crystal malt total for a 5 gal batch, and for a DIPA I’d stick with 1.0-1.5 lb. That assumes you’re using an “extra light” or “pilsner” LME. If the extract is any darker than that, then it already has some crystal malt in it and I’d reduce the additional crystal malt even further, to 0.5-1.0 lb.

I assume that the 2-row is in there because you’re going to be doing a mini-mash, but 0.25 lb won’t be enough to convert the other 2.75 lb of non-enzymatic grains. As a general rule, a mash needs to be at least 1/3 pale base malt.

Since you’re doing the mini-mash anyway, I’d consider adding something like a Vienna or Munich malt to make up around 10% of the total gravity. Crystal malts will get you some sweetness, but not much in the way of maltiness.

Thank you guys so much for the responses. As you can clearly see my inexperience has shined through slightly. So the modifications to the recipe i marked with ***. I tried to keep at least the proportions the same on the fermentables but shoot for the 1.5ish lbs mark. I also moved the warriors back to the 60min mark. i wanted it more as a bittering hop anyway. I also made the change to the 007 yeast besides im digging the james bonds reference to it haha.

Fermentables
9.9 Liquid LME
***.8 lbs Belgian Caravienne
***.25 lbs am crystal 40L
***.25 lbs am crystal 60L
***.125 lbs am crystal 80L
Hops
1oz Simcoe
1oz Warrior
.5oz Columbus
2oz Cascade
2oz Amarillo
2oz Citra
2oz whole Cascade
1.5oz whole Columbus

Hop Schedule
1oz Simcoe 60min
***1oz Warrior 60min
.5oz Columbus 20 min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 15min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 10min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 5min
.5oz each cascade, Amarillo, citra 1min
2oz whole cascade and 1.5oz whole Columbus Dry hop during secondary

Yeast
***WLP007

As i side note i saw a10t2 that you were from Silverton. Im quite jealous. I just graduated from grad school from DU. I had to move back to the east coast though which i wasnt happy about. Looks like the mountains are already getting snowed on. Seems like a good sign to me.