I'm getting very light-bodied beers

Probably recipe problem I’ve seen some pretty bland recipe kits.

Some of the “first time” recipe kits seem to be designed not to shock new brewers that drink Coors light.

Calcium Carbonate (RA)… So low… It would be a perfect water for brewing Pils style… No nothing in it…
Yeah, kits are easy to do… and if they were the best, we wouldn’t mess around with whipping up our own concoctions… Put a tablespoon of baking soda in a keg and see where you end up at…
Sneezles61

I think they are trying to keep the price down. Iv seen what look like some solid extract kits but they are usually on the $$$ end

You can’t boil wort too hot. your friend is full of it.

If extract batches are turning out light bodied and you’re hitting all the volumes correctly then the beer was designed that way.

4 Likes

TX, I would be interested to know the following

What was OG and FG?
What was the grain bill and what sort of non base malts you used?
What was your mash temp vs recommended temp?

I think others have said this, but I don’t think fermenting too long is a valid argument.

it was extract. He wouldn’t know how it was mashed.

Thanks for your insights, I’m kind of encouraged that bland beer isn’t caused by something obvious…No one said, “I bet you forgot to light the burner.”

Here’s the recipe. Straight from the “Official Northern Brewer Instructional Document”

The Innkeeper: Measured OG 1.036, measured FG 1.006; Grains, 0.25 lbs English Extra Dark Crystal, 0.25 lbs Belgian Biscuit Malt; Extracts, 3.15 lbs Gold Malt Syrup, 1 lb Pilsen DME, 1 lb corn sugar; Hops, Fruggle, Kent Goldings and Styrian Golding added throughout the boil.

Irish Red Ale: Measured OG 1.042, measured FG 1.008; Grains, 0.5 lb Belgian Cara 8, 0.25 lb Briess Special Roast, 0.125 lb Belgian Biscuit, 0.125 lb English Chocolate Malt; Extracts, 6 lb Golden Malt Syrup; Hops, Willamette and US Goldings.

I’m going to try the unsweetened oat milk. Is a cup in a 2.5 gal boil a good ratio? I’m assuming add oat milk at beginning of boil, right?

I liked Squeegeethree’s comment about me loosing my sense of taste. I’m going into a three day, holiday weekend with 20 bottles of the Red Ale I brewed. But, I’m going to buy a six pack of the local peach shandy to celebrate, because it doesn’t taste like $3,00 a six pack.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Hmm both of those beers are in light beer abv territory. How did you steep the grains. Also the yeast seems like it attenuated to low IMO those beers should try to be finished about .012 to get a less dry finish. But that would lower the ABV more.

2 Likes

Your starting gravities (1.036 & 1.042) are relatively low. I think that’s your answer right there. If you want full bodied beers, maybe try brewing a kit with a higher OG/ABV.

2 Likes

The Innkeeper was a staple here for a while. Never thought it was bland but it’s essentially an english bitter and the yeast you use can make a big difference. I always liked it best fermented on WY1469. Temperature can play a big role and I liked it somewhat clean so I fermented it very cool around 60-63. If you want more esters just ferment it warmer and you’ll get more ester and mineral flavors from the yeast.

One buddy of mine declared it the best beer ever so apparently he liked it. I stopped brewing ales for the most part except IPAs.

1 Like

:grinning:… wait… :no_mouth:… no common Ales? :confused:
Sneezles61