Igloo Model FRB200 - Good or a lemon?

Anyone see that Home Depot was selling a (commercial) kegerator rather inexpensively, over the holidays?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/IGLOO-6-0-cu ... /203474205

I think the one near my house is still selling them for <$300. I was thinking about picking one up and eventually refitting it for 2-3 cornies. But, before I did this (i.e., instead of purchasing the twice-as-expensive units on Kegerator.com), I figured I’d check with y’all to see whether anyone knows if this is a lemon, or not.

Cheers.
–Andrew

I DO NOT have one but from the looks of everything I read it doesn’t drop below 43°. It also appears the regulator is junk.

Man, ya shouldn’t have sold off all your gear!

Thanks for the warning. I’ll stay away from it.

Family does come first. Cash on hand makes it easy to get back into brewing, and if I don’t, then I can rest assured that someone else is carrying on the spirit.

So have you just been buying beer or did you pretty much put a halt on your consumption as well?

You can always get back into brewing with smaller batches and cheap equipment. Simpler is almost always better, in my opinion.

With most reviews, seems like those that really have limited experience with kegging/refrigeration can’t troubleshoot simple fixes.

I’m not sure if you could fit 2 cornies in it, but seemed solid.

Ever look to buying a cheap Craigslist freezer and converting?

I found one some years back for $90 and had a 3 corny unit ready to go for $100 more. (Granted this was 2008)

[quote=“Beersk”]So have you just been buying beer or did you pretty much put a halt on your consumption as well?

You can always get back into brewing with smaller batches and cheap equipment. Simpler is almost always better, in my opinion.[/quote]

Oh heck no… I am spending tons of money on purchased beer. :lol:

I’ve been considering an extract batch just for giggles… but, that might crack the kitchen countertop even FURTHER, and my wife well, yeah… long story.

To those interested… this unit is currently on clearance at Home Depot for $159… not bad for a unit that normally costs $398. It’s far from perfect, of course - but you can do some minor upgrades and build it how you like it at that price. There is a 16 page forum on the topic over at homebrewtalk.

Serious? In store only? The website has full price, and says ship to store, nothing in stock. For that cheap, I’d buy it as a fermentation chamber.