If you could be a brewer in any era/century?

Started to think about an interesting topic…If you could be a brewer in any era, what would it be? What would you brew? Where? Seems like some popular choices would be Egyptians, Renaissance, early America, present, medieval. Thought it might make for an interesting discussion.

Also what would you go back and create…recipe wise?

Gotta say I’d probably brew around the middle ages or maybe Imperial Russia timeframe, brewing big ales or imperial stouts, kinda makes me wonder how different the recipes were to our modern interpretations.

:cheers:

i’m going to go against the spirit of your question:

if i could be a brewer in any era, it would be in a post apocalyptic future where there are thirsty road warriors and their wenches, ray guns, mutants and sex robots.

my brewing skills would make me a valuable member of the tribe and lavish gifts would be showered on me.

[quote=“darthmorgoth”]i’m going to go against the spirit of your question:

if i could be a brewer in any era, it would be in a post apocalyptic future where there are thirsty road warriors and their wenches, ray guns, mutants and sex robots.

my brewing skills would make me a valuable member of the tribe and lavish gifts would be showered on me.[/quote]

Maybe you’ll have your wish in 11 months…ahha, better stock up the supplies!!!

Make sure you’re good at malting too. Doesn’t do much good to be a brewer without it.

I’d want to be a brewer in ~2050. I imagine that’s about when we’ll get all the kinks worked out.

[quote=“darthmorgoth”] sex robots.
[/quote]

I’ll take three please.

I’m happy to be brewing right about now today. We’re just now in the midst of a huge renaissance, and we have all sorts of scientific knowledge and technology to be able to avoid all sorts of problems of the past. If you think beer tasted real good 200 years ago or whenever, well, I suppose we’ll never really know, but I’m thinking the beer of today is about as good as it’s ever been, and in as great a variety as it’s ever been. And I really like variety.

what makes people sit around and think up useless topics like this??

I’d also agree with right now as being where I want to be.

#1; I have three homebrew stores (2 NB locations!) within a couple miles of my house.

#2; The internets for info, research and searching out supplies and ingredients.

#3; Electricity and running water.

Beer, and Sex Robots.

go on a deployment to afghanistan and sit in your tent for 12 hours a day. Then get back to me :wink:

or a winter in antarctica…i got all kinds of crazy idears

I’d like to brew in 3155 so I could sip a homebrew and watch the Seahawks win their first Superbowl. :frowning:

You pretty much stole my answer.

I’d say the Middle Ages but to be a brewer then, I would most likely have to be an alewife (i.e. a woman) or a monk. Neither sounds appealing.

[quote=“darthmorgoth”]i’m going to go against the spirit of your question:

my brewing skills would make me a valuable member of the tribe and lavish gifts would be showered on me.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure I like this whole sex robot thing!!! As to when I’d brew…wow…big question…lots of great periods when beer was King…including present! Happy weekend! :cheers:

I hope the sex robots look like Rosie from the jetsons.
I could then die a happy robot sexed man.

hmmm, I’m going to leave some of these posts alone…But if i had to pick an era, I would have to keep it in the present.

Why bother even replying if that’s your only contribution?

Personally, I agree that today is probably the best time for brewing, in terms of convenience. But I can relate to those of you who long for times when beer was valued much more. With all of the choices we have today for top-quality commercial brew, as well as the quality and variety of ingredients for brewing, we really have it made. But I think we tend to take things for granted. Remember the hop shortage a few years back?

I agree with most. We’ll never know what beer has tasted like over the thousands of years in its existence. With today’s availability of quality ingredients, equipment, knowledge and technology, I have to believe beer today is as good as it’s ever been.