I Just Want to Bottle Already!

My first beer ever is sitting in the secondary and it’s killing me. I just want to bottle it, but I think I really should wait another week though. The pain!

BTW, I’m talking about my Irish Stout, which was in primary ten days and now its day nine in the secondary.

Its ready. Irish stout isn’t a big beer and ale yeast work quickly. You’ve given it plenty of time to finish up.

If you checked the gravity when you moved it to secondary and check it again today and it’s the same you can go ahead and bottle it.

I had my caribou slobber in primary for 12 days and secondary for 5 and then just bottled it.

I get to drink one next weekend :slight_smile:

I agree - if the gravity seems reasonable, I think you are ok bottling.

Bottle one soda bottle with the glass bottles. Squeeze the air out and screw the cap on it. It will expand as CO2 is formed and show you how things are going. No need to open a bottle to see if it is carbonated.

Keep a couple extra soda bottles handy. Just in case you run out of glass or have a 1/2 bottle.

Oh I have tons of glass, that has been my crusade the last few weeks. I have enough 22oz bottles to bottle three batches. Unfortunately I didn’t take a reading when I racked to my secondary. I guess I will take a reading and see what my gravity is. If it’s close to 1.000 I think I should be able to bottle, considering OG was 1.042

your FG should be higher than that. there are a lot of unfermentables in beer. I’m guessing you used malt extract and your FG will be around 1.018-1.014 if your yeast was happy.

racking it to secondary at day 10 may have been a littly early, IME. I’d not be surprised to see an FG close to 1.020 to 1.022.

but, it’ll still be beer. woohoo!

:cheers:

edit:
beer sin # 1 = impatience
beer sin # 2 = see beer sin # 1.

Just check final gravity and it is 1.012

it’s probably ready to bottle.

19 days?! You should be drinking that sucker by now! :cheers:

bottle it!!!

Yarp! And next time, skip the secondary and just primary for 2-3 weeks, then bottle. A lot of people love to secondary, and I used to think it was absolutely crucial, but haven’t done one (other than on big beers) for years. Now comes the really hard part - waiting for three weeks while those beautiful brown bottles full of stout just stare at you day after day saying “drink me…drink me!” Better get your brew on so you have something else to distract you!

[quote=“El Capitan”]Yarp! And next time, skip the secondary and just primary for 2-3 weeks, then bottle. A lot of people love to secondary, and I used to think it was absolutely crucial, but haven’t done one (other than on big beers) for years. Now comes the really hard part - waiting for three weeks while those beautiful brown bottles full of stout just stare at you day after day saying “drink me…drink me!” Better get your brew on so you have something else to distract you!

:cheers: [/quote]
truth right there.