I did IT!

I built my MT Monday night. Took me 20 minutes. I wish someone would have told me how “Quick and Easy” this was :wink:

Thanks to Denny for the write up and pics. I’ll be using the batch sparge method you detail on http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/.

Got my AG order coming in Monday so Tuesday is the first brewday! I’m so excited to do this batch, a dunkel. I think I may be more excited then my very first batch.

Do I have to wait until my first AG is done before I can post to the AG board? :wink:

My cooler is red.

:cheers:

congrats and good luck!

You do know that red coolers tend to suffer in efficiency when compared to blue, right?

Congrats on the mt build either way!

Dammit! I knew I should’ve done more reading about cooler color and efficiency. They had a blue one with wheels but I thought red was gonna give me the eff. boost I needed. Live and learn, I guess. :lol:

Yes, definitely congrats! Let us know how it goes. I’ve been doing AG for about 8 months now, and I’m still like a kid on Christmas eve before my brew day. I definitely know how you feel.

[quote=“dsidab81”]You do know that red coolers tend to suffer in efficiency when compared to blue, right?

Congrats on the mt build either way![/quote]
go orange or go home. 8)

about d@mn time. haha

It really is much more rewarding IMO to finish up a batch of all grain beer.

Now next up, get a mill, buy in bulk, and make super cheap batches of terrific beer.

Congrats !!! I’m looking forward to doing the same very soon

The Red Cooler/MT has served me well. The best brews are in your future.

Well, it looks like you are on here enough so I’m assuming your all researched and ready to go. Hope everything rolls smoothly!

Batch sparging is a piece of cake (which with Denny’s setup I’m assuming). If you got a calibrated thermometer and accurately calculate your strike temp you shouldn’t have any problems what so ever. I keep a extra pot of boiling water and a tray of ice cubes handy just in case something weird happens and I miss my temp by a bunch.

I’d planned on having a pot of water handy, mashing on the low side, and adding extra hot water to dial in the strike temp. I’ll remember ice cubes in case I overshoot. Just 5 more days!!!

Thinking about it, I should’ve started with an ale. It’s going to be hard to get 5 gallons of wort down to lager pitching temp without an IC. I will probably let it sit overnight to get down to the proper temp before pitching.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

:cheers:

Yeah, blue coolers get 137% efficiency. After you brew 10 batches, you’ve saved so much grain that a 50 lb. bag magically appears in your garage!

Yeah, blue coolers get 137% efficiency. After you brew 10 batches, you’ve saved so much grain that a 50 lb. bag magically appears in your garage![/quote]
Red MT for sale…cheap!

[quote=“mvsawyer”]I’d planned on having a pot of water handy, mashing on the low side, and adding extra hot water to dial in the strike temp. I’ll remember ice cubes in case I overshoot. Just 5 more days!!!

Thinking about it, I should’ve started with an ale. It’s going to be hard to get 5 gallons of wort down to lager pitching temp without an IC. I will probably let it sit overnight to get down to the proper temp before pitching.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

:cheers: [/quote]

A lesson I learned the hard way: It may take a good 10 minutes for the temperature of you mash to come to equilibrium. On my first two AG brews, I stirred up the mash and measured the temperature immediately. It was 5-10 degrees high so I started dumping in ice 'til I reached the target temp. 15 minutes later when I checked (and it had come to equilibrium) it was 5-10 degrees low. Give it a little time before you add ice or hot water.

Ok thanks. I’ll be sure to give it time before I futz with the mash.

[quote=“mvsawyer”]I’d planned on having a pot of water handy, mashing on the low side, and adding extra hot water to dial in the strike temp. I’ll remember ice cubes in case I overshoot.[/quote]I use this calculator
http://www.brewheads.com/strike.php
for my strike water target temperature and I’m always within a degree or so. I also add the water to my cooler about 10° warmer and let the cooler absorb the heat then add the grain when it’s down to the temperature I’m shooting for.

[quote=“Glug Master”][quote=“mvsawyer”]I’d planned on having a pot of water handy, mashing on the low side, and adding extra hot water to dial in the strike temp. I’ll remember ice cubes in case I overshoot.[/quote]I use this calculator
http://www.brewheads.com/strike.php
for my strike water target temperature and I’m always within a degree or so. I also add the water to my cooler about 10° warmer and let the cooler absorb the heat then add the grain when it’s down to the temperature I’m shooting for.[/quote]
I use BeerSmith software to do the same calculation. Works great and I’m almost always spot on.