I bought my next brew! APA and dry hop!

Ok… Well I went out tonight and bought a base APA kit from my local brew house. Its made with 3 ounces of Cascade hops…1 ounce at the beginning of the boil and the last 2 right at the end of the boil. I then am going to dryhop it in the secondary with 1/2 ounce of Cascade…
Anyone have anything i might need to know… Useful info from my “Brew Peers”…

Sounds good.
I might just bump up the dry hop to a whole ounce and put it in the primary after two weeks have passed. Give it one more week with hops and bottle. Less work! :cheers:

You might want to toss those dry hops in a muslin bag (if you weren’t already planning to). It’ll make the siphoning to the bottling bucket a bit easier…minimize trub loss.

I love APAs. You could even use 1oz for dry hops. Leave them in about a week. Post your results when the beer is done and you’re drinking it.

I did a pale ale and dry hopped with 2 ounces of Centennial pellet hops. It was definitely NOT too much. On the next one I am going to up the late additions for more aroma.

I am trying to emulate a Long Trail Pale Ale. It was not too bitter and had a LOT of aroma.

I am going to put them in a mucelin bag) so now the question is… hop it in the secondary or the primary…UGH… The guy at my brew house last night said defiantly secondary… some of you guys say primary… What to do… Primary dryhop after 2 weeks, secondary dryhop for 2 weeks… pros and cons?

PRO for dryhop in primary AFTER fermentation: you don’t have to worry about causing oxidation by siphoning one extra time, and you can eliminate small chance of introducing infection because less things will be touching the beer. It is also one less vessel to clean and sanitize, and one less time to sanitize your siphoning equipment.
PRO for dryhop in secondary: you can free up a primary fermenation vessel if need be, and it allows you to save/reuse the yeast cake from the primary fermenter. If you were doing a really big beer that needed to age, you would want to get it off the yeast cake.

Ok… so dryhopping in secondary… After about 2 weeks I open the cover and put the bag with the hops in and shut the top again… Right?.. How long should I let it go?

Oh and something else I didnt know… You can reuse the material at the bottom of the primary for your next brew?.. Can you elaborate on this? please

Most people dry hop for around 5-7 days at 70F. Yes you can repitch the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter. Do your research before you try it, because you are opening a whole new can of worms.

[quote=“BlackstoneIPA”]Ok… so dryhopping in secondary… After about 2 weeks I open the cover and put the bag with the hops in and shut the top again… Right?.. How long should I let it go?

Oh and something else I didnt know… You can reuse the material at the bottom of the primary for your next brew?.. Can you elaborate on this? please[/quote]

Dryhopping is usually for about 7 days. I dryhopped my last APA with 2oz of whole cascade for 14 days because I ran into a time issue. Came out great!

Here’s a great video on yeast washing. It’s very easy and a great saver of money.

http://billybrew.com/yeast-washing

Is there any written rule about what hops compliment each other, or what can and cant go together?.
Or is it pretty much an open book…

[quote=“BlackstoneIPA”]Is there any written rule about what hops compliment each other, or what can and cant go together?.
Or is it pretty much an open book…[/quote]

With some research you can find certain hops that people like together, but it’s really an open book. The american C hops usually play well together. Noble hops usually work well together too. IMO.

But sometimes mixing hops can produce unwanted results. I love Simcoe. I love Cascade. This past summer I made an IPA with the 2. I hate it. Still sitting on over half a case that I just can’t bring myself to drink over other beers I have.

My technique was to do several brews with a single hop variety and take notes. Once I had used several types and noticed some flavors that might compliment eachother, I started doing combinations. Another way is doing the kits like it sounds like you are doing. Awesome way to turn out good beers and get familiar with hops and stuff. But theres really no wrong combination of hops. Try anything you want.

Well i brewed my apa today and it went realy well… Not a problem to speak of)