I bought cider at an orchard, it started fermenting in fridge. what next?

Hi, new to site and brewing. And need advice with what to do with gallon of fresh cider that’s been fermenting in the fridge for almost a month in the original plastic jug.

Since I love hard cider, instead of tossing it figured I’d start learning to brew. Bought all the equipment I think I need, the last should arrive today. I had bought it to cook with but ended up having to go out of town at the last minute - had the dog walker checking the jug and releasing pressure if needed by loosing the cap but not taking it completely off.

Using the refractometer that arrived this morning, the Brix reading was at 11. Using an online converter it shows the specific gravity to be 1.0442 and the potential ABV to 5.8%.

What should be my next steps? I do prefer my ciders a bit sweeter and with a hint of pie spice flavor.

Thanks

I just had this happen with a left over half gallon. After about a month in the fridge it tasted awful and I dumped it out. I would get some fresh cider and pitch the type of yeast that you want into it instead of wild yeast.

2 Likes

I had some fermenting in the fridge and just drank it. I didn’t let it completely ferment it was sweet with a light carbonation actually pretty good. Don’t know if I could replicate it

1 Like

Same thing has happened to me. I’m leaving it in the back of the refrigerator for 4-5 months, then will enjoy.

Cheers.

Its intersting to me that you guys drink it. It was extremely tart when I tried it. Maybe it just depends on the batch of cider. The 5 gallons I made with the same cider is on the tart side but nowhere near as funky. I used 5 gallons and pitched imperials seasonal bubbles yeast. Its delicious and I’m very happy it didn’t finish dry. Still lots of apple flavors