Howdy!

Howdy folks! I’m new to the forum and I just wanted to say hello and express my excitement to get into brewing. I just ordered a kit and ingredients to make my very first homebrew, and I’m just chompin’ at the bit to get my stuff and get to brewing. I’m going to do Caribou Slobber. I’ve never had it’s equivalent ( I believe Moose Drool) but it seems like a well liked brew by reviewers on this site. I’ve heard it described as somewhat similar to Newcastle, which I like, so I hope it’ll turn out good.

Anywho, I think I’ve got a pretty good handle on how this should go, so wish me luck. If anyone has any wisdom to impart on a newbie, let 'er rip.

Regards,
Andrew

I’ve only been at this a year, but I would advise to not skimp on the sanitizing aspect of things.
Good Luck!

Watch your temp closely, and keep good notes.

It may even be a good idea to write down the steps beforehand to ensure nothing gets forgotten.

for me I would say notes are vary important . just remember that your notes for one beer will most likely span the life of said beer. I have always taken good notes on brew day but then 30 days later while drinking or tasting the beer I did not add to the brew day notes so in the end I lost some knowledge. then when you find that a beer is so good you want more of it a year later, you can brew it again with confidence.
Oh ya welcome it the site .

Be patient… I know you’ll want to taste it as soon as possible but you will be rewarded if you can wait for the WHOLE process to finish.

Other than that, I think the hardest part for new brewers is ferm temps. Controlling ferm temps will result in a much better finished product.

I’ve been brewing since '98 and the two things that helped be go from mediocre beer to good/great beer was really good sanitation and controlling my temperatures.

You learn what works for you over time. And the great thing about this hobby is you get to enjoy all your attempts at making really great beer.

Thanks for the welcome and for the great advice :slight_smile:

I’d say the fermentation temp control is going to by my biggest challenge. I’ll need to ferment inside the house which is kept at around 72-73 degrees. From what I have read, I need the beer to be down in the mid 60s. I haven’t quite settled on how I’m going to keep the temp down for the duration of the fermentation. I do have a storm cellar, as most tornado alley residents do, so I may look into using that. Don’t know what the temp is like down there in the Fall/Winter months since there ain’t any tornaders this time of year :wink:

Put your fermentor in a tub with water in it then add frozen water bottle. You can also put a shirt over it that hangs into the water and put a fan on it. Do a search for swamp coolers for more info but they work really well and are cheap :smiley:

Thanks for the tip. I have read a little bit about swamp coolers.

All praise the swamp cooler!!!

Wait 3 weeks before bottling. When you do bottle, fill one soda bottle, any size. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. As CO2 is formed, the bottle will expand. No wondering what is happening in the glass bottles.

Allow the bottles to age for 3 weeks before drinking, in quantity. If you want to sample 1 bottle before hand that OK. Just don’t’ think that they will be ready.