How to get rid of an old carboy

Long story short a guy I work with gave me a Mexico made 5 gallon carboy. Got it home today and took it out of the bag he put it in. Tons of scuff marks on the bottom, a few scratches on the side and chipped in the neck opening. He was being nice but I’m not going to use it.

I don’t want to put it in the recycling and risk someone taking it and using it. Should I carefully break it inside a thick brown paper bag or something? Then tape up in a box?

Set the carboy in the sink. Experiment with what happens to cold glass when a hot liquid is poured in. Then set it in the recycle bin. They will know how to handle it.

Garbage can plus hammer.

1 Like

4th of July is coming. Set up a YouTube live stream, then:
Fill the carboy about 1/3rd with gasoline, drop a lit quarter stick in, and run like hell.

:us::us::us: God bless Merica!! :us::us::us:
Seriously though, don’t really do that.

4 Likes

A quarter teaspoon could light a forest on fire and puncture tires for years to come. Don’t do that.

When I discovered my 6.5 gallon carboy had a small leak I decided to recycle it… Dropped it in the recycling bin and heard it shatter - If someone is silly enough to dig through a glass recycling bin, that’s on them, not you. And I’m talking about a big metal container with doors, not a tote that is sat by a curb.

1 Like

Maybe just put it out the morning that the glass recycling comes to pick up. Not much risk there.

1 Like

Target practice. Can’t miss

2 Likes

I would just put it out for recycling as is. It’s defects are obvious so you’re not hiding any dangers. To try and break it up yourself is a risk you don’t need to take. But, I would wait until recycling day to minimize the chance of some kid smashing it in the street.

1 Like

I think that I took the one and only that I broke, wrapped it up good and put it in the trash rather than the recycle. I’m all for recycling but that seemed safer.

1 Like

Put it in and old bed sheet, put it in the recycling bin and then smash it! Sneezles61

Put a message in it and toss it in the sea

4 Likes

No cork?:neutral_face: Sneezles61

1 Like