How Much Yeast to Pitch

Rookie brewer here. I am only brewing 2.5 gallon batches and have a question about how much yeast to pitch and also to use a starter or not.

My next beer to brew is an American IPA. Is it okay to use a whole vial of WLP060 for a 2.5 gallon batch? Also, should I use a starter or just pitch straight from the vial?

Thanks.

With a 2.5 gallon batch size and starting gravity of 1.058 or less you will be fine just pitching the vial. I wouldn’t worry about a starter until you step up your batch size or are brewing something very strong.

[quote=“Parrot40”]Rookie brewer here. I am only brewing 2.5 gallon batches and have a question about how much yeast to pitch and also to use a starter or not.

My next beer to brew is an American IPA. Is it okay to use a whole vial of WLP060 for a 2.5 gallon batch? Also, should I use a starter or just pitch straight from the vial?

Thanks.[/quote]

I brew three gallon batches all the time and if the yeast is fresh and the O G under 1.060 I don’t worry about a starter.

P.S. You owe me a buck for the use of the name. :wink:

Sorry. Newbie brewer here. :slight_smile:

My recipe calls for a OG of 1.064 and a final 1.015. I don’t have a hydrometer because I only brew 2.5 gal. batches. Don’t want to waste my precious wort. So, I’m pretty much shooting blind.

[quote=“Parrot40”] Don’t want to waste my precious wort. So, I’m pretty much shooting blind.[/quote]Use a refractometer instead - only requires a drop or two of wort or beer for a measurement.

Pitch that whole vial in there without a starter… You’ll be just fine sir with small batches like you’re brewing.