Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

How long can beer ferment before it's gone bad?

I finally got around to brewing my first small batch of dead ringer back in mid November.

Planned on letting it ferment for 2 weeks before bottling, but something came up that had me leave the city for a few weeks, that coupled with the holidays, I still have not bottled the beer.

Its been sitting in the same spot since mid November and now I am worried that it has gone bad.

My question is: Is this beer even worth bottling up?.. or should I just trash this batch and cook up a new one?

I’m worried about health issues obviously… since it has been almost 3 months.

any advice will be greatly appreciated!

thanks so much!

I would taste a small sample and see how it taste. I bet you will be fine.

If there is something wrong with it, it likely isn’t because it sat in the fermenter for 3 months.

With a beer like Dead Ringer (which looks to be a 2 Hearted clone), the only thing I would be concerned about is losing hop flavor/aroma.

If I were you, I would grab a Muslim bag, an ounce of Centennial, and dry hop it for another two weeks and then bottle it.

Do not dump it out.

[quote=“Turkeygecko”]If there is something wrong with it, it likely isn’t because it sat in the fermenter for 3 months.

With a beer like Dead Ringer (which looks to be a 2 Hearted clone), the only thing I would be concerned about is losing hop flavor/aroma.

If I were you, I would grab a Muslim bag, an ounce of Centennial, and dry hop it for another two weeks and then bottle it.

Do not dump it out.[/quote]

Hahaha, turns out autocorrect is not auto-politically correct. I tired to say MUSLIN bag, not Muslim bag.

You do not need to worry about any health issues as long as the beer was fermented properly in the first place.

Other than loosing hop flavor/aroma the real concern with a long primary like that is the possibility of autolysis, which is a mass die off of yeast. This will leave your beer with a strong burnt rubber flavor. Taste a sample. If it tastes ok, bottle and enjoy.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com