Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

How long between CO2 refills for 5#, 10#, 20# tanks?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how many kegs a 5, 10, or 20 lb. tank of CO2 will carbonate and pressurize? I’ve read here that I can save a lot of money by going with a 10 or 20 lb. tank (so I will likely not get a 5# tank), but I have no idea how many batches I can keg and use with 10 or 20 pounds. I’m just looking for a ballpark estimate here so I can budget out this escapade I’m about to embark on.

Thanks!

I think the dimension of the tank should be the determining factor. Will you put it in the keggerator? How many kegs on the tank, and how fast are you consuming it. Personally I would rather rotate two smaller tanks than just get one bigger one.

That’s a good point. I have 2 5# tanks and I like the size because I put one inside my upright freezer and it doesn’t take much space. I keep 4 kegs on tap and with average psi of 8-10, purging head space, carbing new ones at high pressure for a day or so, pushing starsan through prior to kegging, etc, etc, I go through a 5# cylinder about every month & 1/2 to 2 months.

I have a 20# for my 6 kegs in the kegerator. That gets used everyday for dispensing beer and I also have an extra line on it for purging headspace of freshly filled kegs. I go between 18-24 months per 20#'er.

I have a 5# tank which goes in the keezer to keep up to 6 kegs charged during cold storage so that they are ready to go on tap at a moments notice. That one lasts 12-18 months.

I also have a few spares laying around which are either a 10 & 15 or a 15 & 20# but they both need to be hydro-tested.

I have a 5# tank that mounts outside my kegerator. I first filled it mid-December last year and just had it refilled mid-August. I force carbed 9 beers and made it about halfway through carbing a 10th before it kicked. Roughly 8 months of use for carbing, purging, pushing cleaner, and serving. I have a total of 5 kegs and a two tap kegerator.

:cheers:
Rad

You might have a small leak somewhere in your system. I’ve got pretty much the same setup (4 tap kegerator) and use the gas for the same things and my 5# tanks last 8-12 months…probably 8-10 kegs worth.

Thanks everyone for all of this info - quite a bit to take in. Right now I’m just doing the homework, don’t have a system yet and am still in the planning stages. So this info helps a lot, and I really appreciate it!
:cheers:

You might have a small leak somewhere in your system. I’ve got pretty much the same setup (4 tap kegerator) and use the gas for the same things and my 5# tanks last 8-12 months…probably 8-10 kegs worth.[/quote]
Spring and summer when my adult kids are around with friends and significant others passing through constantly we go through some beer. I’ve brewed and kegged 16 batches since the first of June.

That’s where the above estimate came from. I should have clarified with the keg count to begin with.

You might have a small leak somewhere in your system. I’ve got pretty much the same setup (4 tap kegerator) and use the gas for the same things and my 5# tanks last 8-12 months…probably 8-10 kegs worth.[/quote]
Spring and summer when my adult kids are around with friends and significant others passing through constantly we go through some beer. I’ve brewed and kegged 16 batches since the first of June.

That’s where the above estimate came from. I should have clarified with the keg count to begin with.[/quote]

That’s a lot of brewing…impressive. I imagine you had to quit your job and stop attending to basic hygiene to fit all that in! And now that I take two seconds to actually think about it I doubt a leak, no matter how small, would take 2 months to empty a tank…every leak i ever had emptied the tank in a matter of hours.

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-question ... id-89.html

[quote=“chuck”]http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/how-many-beer-kegs-dispensed-out-co2-tank-aid-89.html[/quote]Thats a nice piece of information there Chuck. Thanks for posting.

That’s what you get for 13 years of brewing and collecting info to pass on.

How many kegs from a 20oz paintball tank? If my math is right 3 or 4. Thinking of getting one for a traveler.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com