How fast should I drop from d-rest temp to lagering temp?

I am currently fermenting a bock beer and am entering the lagering phase. This is only the second lager I’ve done and I have a question on how fast I should drop from diacetyl rest temp (65 F) to lagering temp (34 F). Some sources say 1-2 deg F per day, others 3-5 deg F per day and still others cold crash to lagering temp in one shot. What is the best practice?

Also, if it takes me a week to drop to lagering temperature, do I start the “lagering clock” at the start of the temperature drop or the end?

I go straight to 32…
It ferments in a controlled environment…
Then up to room temp until I can keg…
Into the keg using CO2…
Seat the lid with 50 psi CO2…
Into the keezer or lager vessel or cold winter garage up here…
Sneezles61

3 Likes

My concern is that too fast a drop would cause the yeast to go dormant instead of continuing to work at the lower temperature.

My MO is pretty much the same as @sneezles61 .

Fermentation should be done if you’re ready to lager. The yeast will be out of commission at near freezing regardless how long you take to get there.

2 Likes

Agree. I don’t do it stepwise, straight to 33*. The other stepwise stuff, which I also don’t do, is done with moving the brew from lager fermentation to D rest. I just bring the fermenter out of the fridge to a warm dark place to do a diacetyl rest. 5 or 10 gallons changes temp gradually no matter what the plan was.

3 Likes

I bring it up to room temp for a diacetyl rest for a few days and then drop the temperature 3 degrees per day until I’m at 32. I dont count the days for a timer since I usually lager for more than a month, but I would start the timer on the day the beer is below 40 degrees. As others have said, you can go straight to the temperature but an additional week of slowly lowering the temperature doesnt hurt anything either. Might just depend on how quickly you are trying to have a finished product.

Lager is to age…
Porkchop has it spelled out very nicely…
Sneezles61

Thats the only thing i would like to do a true lager. But due to. Hot climate here. Kind of no option. Unless. Lower the airco temp in my brewing area to cold cold. My wife proberly get nuts about the power bill. One thing on my bucket list. A fermetation chamber. ( got a old airco window unit ) build. But for now. Build first new electric brew system

1 Like

What’s your cold season like temperature wise. I was able to lager during the summer here using ice bottles with my fermentor in a large cooler.

About 85. To 80. Summer time 90 to 110. Me do use the ice bottles. For primary fermenting. If i use a other yeast strain than kveik. With kveik. I do a type of pilsner. My buddy and i are thinking about a cooling jacket as welll. But the year 2020. So many plans. New. Brewsystem. Stainless fermentors. Mayby fermentor with glysol.

I lager year round with a swamp cooler and ice bottles but the temperature in my basement is a steady 70ish F. The ice bottles are a PITA and I’ve got the AC and materials to build a lagering unit, just haven’t gotten to it.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/midea-WHS-129C1-Single-Chest-Freezer/dp/B00MVVITWC?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00MVVITWC

Here is what I use

2 Likes

That’s very similar to mine too… I can get 2 of my SS bucket fermenters in mine… It’s on wheels too…
Sneezles61